Shelves full again

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk715

Reaction score
My Car
72 Grande Coupe--302 C4
73 Mach 1 351c/fmx
70 Challenger 340 a66
M38a1 M38 CJ2a Jeeps
49 Jeepster
79 Z28
08 Mustang GT
1961 Plymouth Belvedere
Well I ran out of parts to weld onto the 72 a month ago--I was down in Canton area this weekend so made a trip over to NPD. 700 bucks later and I now have a stack of metal that needs to be welded into the old girl. :D

Trunk is not looking fun--Going to do the tail panel at some point so may leave it and cut out between the light holes to get the panel in in one piece. Thoughts?? Concerns???

i think to fit the full truck floor in you have to completely take out the tail light panel, otherwise you have to cut it in half and then weld it back together in the truck or you just patch the section over the fuel tank

Yes sir will take plenty of photos--try and do it with all my repairs.

Well I'll take the tail panel out if thats what has to be done--I have a new one on the shelves now just wanted to leave some material to tie everything together and keep it straight as I work. Eye ball seemed like it would go in from the back but I've not thrown a tape on it. I want to do it in once piece so if the panel has to go and bracing put in afterwords thats how I'll do it. I've got quarter work to do as well but want the trunk in so I can do the dropoffs and get it all lined up.

Was kinda suprised to see how it was stamped. No flange to the back tail panel--I'm sure it overlaps towards the passenger compartment and it has flanges to the wheel wells. I've not removed the seam sealer but must overlap the cross over in the back as well--perhaps its rosette welded--Guess I should look at my assembly manuals too.

I always thought the tail panel had to be out on the 71-73's to do a full trunk floor. For a fastback I can only imagine that is a must. For the earlier cars, the trunk floors are small pieces, so not a big deal. I have done earlier cars, but not a 71-73 yet. I am hoping I don't have to, but by looking at my Mach, I think the tail panel has to be out to do a full, one-piece floor. Don't sweat it, its just sheet metal. It all welds back together, good luck.

Back