Shifter with center console?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to put an aftermarket shifter (ratchet shifter) in my 71 Mach 1. it has a 429 and C6. I’m looking to see if anyone has mounted am aftermarket shifter with the stock center console?

thanks!

I can speak from experience, the popular B&W shifter with the black base does not play nicely with the OEM console for our cars. The shifter itself is fine. The main body of the console is fine. Its the bulky plastic from the shifter and the plastic trim ring for the console want to occupy the same space. You can spend some quality time with a dremmel to make the plastic fit. Once you do that, it still looks kinda goofy. Most of the shifters have 6" tall plastic housings and those stick up way over the console.

I didn't mention it before, but mine uses a long flexible cable for the linkage. That gives you flexibility when positioning the thing. You can get a little more clearance by cheating it further forwards. But thats not the ideal location for reaching the shifter and driving the car.

All aftermarket shifters have G.M. style detent built in. The hockey bolt on arm that wraps around trans selector shaft kept loosening, adjustied cable too many times, kept being in between gears. Once popped out of park!! As a bonus, every time shifter went across neutral to drive, it would engage neutral safety switch and bump the starter when running!! Only shifter reliable is cheetah tcs
but won~t fit any counsel . Maybe look at Lokar shifters.

Forgot to mention, any ratcheting shifters will not have room for neutral safety or back up light switch.

All aftermarket shifters have G.M. style detent built in. The hockey bolt on arm that wraps around trans selector shaft kept loosening, adjustied cable too many times, kept being in between gears. Once popped out of park!! As a bonus, every time shifter went across neutral to drive, it would engage neutral safety switch and bump the starter when running!! Only shifter reliable is cheetah tcs
but won~t fit any counsel . Maybe look at Lokar shifters.
The Cheetah looked like it would mount to the stock location but I couldnt find any instructions on the install.

Back