Shock tower color?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Can someone tell me what color the shock towers should be? Ive seen some that look to be sand blasted and clear coated?
Thank you
Rod

Do you mean the upper shock mounts or the shock tower braces? I am no expert, but from what I have seen in researching my resto, the upper shock mounts appeared to be a bare metal color and the shock tower braces were slop gray. I painted my upper shock mounts with Eastwood detail gray and the shock tower braces dark slop gray from NPD. BTW, I know the springs and shocks should be black I just wanted to add some color in to that area and thought the light gray springs looked like Hotchkins color and painting the shocks dark Ford blue and adding Motorcraft decals looked kinda cool. Obviously my car is not concourse level just trying to get close to correct and then embellish a little.:)

Attachments

• Mach 1 496.jpg
    Mach 1 496.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Mach 1 497.jpg
    Mach 1 497.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Mach 1 498.jpg
    Mach 1 498.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I think they were just phosphate treated. The pics @tpj71mach posted look close to phosphate, maybe a little lighter. It's all subjective since phosphate treatment can produce different shades of finish depending on conditions of application.

EDIT: Check out the underhood detailing info on http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the knowledge!! Appreciate you!!
Rod

Back