Shocks for 2002 F-250 Ford truck

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
My truck has 161,000 miles on it and it still the best vehicle I've ever owned. However I'm considering replacing the shocks. None are leaking but the ride seems harsher than it used to be and 161,000 miles seems like a lot for shock absorbers. I'm considering the Bilstein 4600 series but I'd like some first hand feedback from anyone who has used them on any flavor of full sized pickup. Did it ride better or worse? Do you feel it was worth the money? I've used them on sports cars before with good results but never on a truck. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks, Chuck

I had them on the front of my Cummins powered Dodge, also put them on a Ford Expedition a while back.  They are good in my opinion.  They offer a little more handling security at a small detriment to ride.  I like em'.  I have the 5100 series on my off road beater and they made a huge difference taming an utterly ridiculous amount of un sprung weight. 

I have the Bilstein 4600 series shocks on my '07 Silverado 2500HD. Probably one of the best things I've done to the truck since owning it. Factory shocks were garbage, one failed at 30k, and generally rode like crap. Put the Bilsteins on and all of the weird habits the truck had in bad weather were gone. If you plan on keeping it, they're well worth the investment. 

Bent and Hemi, Thanks for the input. I've hundreds of reviews on them (internet rabbit hole). Most good reports on handling/wheel control. Many say it rides better, some say what Bent said, "small detriment to ride".  I have to consider my bride's opinion on wether or not it rides better after shocks are changed, she often is in the truck with me. If I put them on and it is worse...... you know where that ends up at. Some are recommending KYB Monomax monotube shocks. I've used a lot go KYB gas adjusts but none of their Monomax shocks. Has anyone tried these shocks. I suppose worst case is I get Motorcraft replacements. Thanks, Chuck

I have Bilstein 5100s in my 4Runner. I love the ride and handling with them. Granted that I replaced the shocks and springs at the same time, but the improvement was huge. My thought is that if your previous shocks were not gas filled, the ride may feel a bit stiffer, but the better handling/bouncing will be noticeable. As you know, theoretically, the 4600 should be a bit softer than the 5100.

Tony, Thanks for the input. I seriously doubt that Ford was using gas shocks on F250s in 2002, perhaps I'm wrong. Chuck

I put KYB MonoMax shocks on my cousin's 1 ton workbody van that he uses for his contracting business. They seem do a good job of controlling that overloaded pig of a vehicle. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back