• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shorty headers for 73 Grande with 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking for something inexpensive, look at eBay. There are a ton of stainless steel shorty headers in there that will fit the early Mustangs. They start at about $140 with free shipping. You can always put a hole in the collector and weld a bung for the O2 sensor. I have some experience with importing headers from overseas, and usually they are good quality. Just do a search on eBay for "shorty headers 1973 mustang 302". 

I used the reproduction Shelby Tri-Y headers on three different 302 71-73 cars over the years. They clear everything, including the clutch linkage on manual transmission cars. No issues with burning plug wires or access to bolts. They don't hang low at all.

They're currently available on eBay and Amazon for around $100 to your door. Far as I can tell, they're all DNA Motoring brand and the sellers are just drop shipping. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303081492335?fits=Make%3AFord&hash=item4691108f6f%3Ag%3AxcQAAOSw78xckabO&LH_BIN=1

Bought a set for the 65 coupe and they are actually quite nice, with really good looking welds and are 304 stainless as advertised. Fitted them up on my 71 before I yanked the 302 and they fit better than the ones I bought from Mustangs Unlimited many moons ago.  The collector is close to the bellhousing on mine, since it's the larger 164 tooth diameter like the AOD. Not sure how the AOD bell is configured in this area, might need a little tappy-tap with a ball peen, or just let it ride. 

Just another option for you....

PXL_20210520_032023802.jpg

PXL_20210520_032035998.MP.jpg

PXL_20210520_032139646.jpg

PXL_20210520_031842358.jpg

PXL_20210520_032008721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, none of the pics came through. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I decided to buy the EBay shorty headers, I’ll post pics once I get them on in mid January. Thanks for the help.

Doesn't exist. Too many header variations to produce a system that's bolt on ready. The only ones that "could" do that are the manufacturers of the headers themselves. Mac's Performance did it, as does TTI for *their* headers. Summit has system designed for specific Flowtech headers. 

You could get one of the existing performance systems and have a shop make, or DIY fabricate using tubing bends, the connections from header to h-pipe. You can use any system designed for 65-73 Mustangs. 

You know, I could buy the mufflers to tail pipes, install them, and have a muffler shop make the front pipes. Run a connector pipe (to make the H pipe) with those. They would also have to weld two bungs on. It’s been a few decades since I’ve been to the local muffler shop. Any clue what that shorty to muffler pipe would set me back? Thanks, Steve.

I have the Flowmaster 15807 pipes and the Flowmaster FlowFX Mufflers 71226. I purchased non brand shorty headers from EBay. If it was you, what 2.5” would you buy to complete the system, knowing there is no shorty headers to muffler system out there for no brand headers? I have below average welding skills (on thin stuff, 1/4” and I’m good 😬), and know how to do the geometry to calculate cuts. I would rather have a system that has a connection aft of the h-pipe before the final run to the mufflers. I have to add two bungs for the OX sensors. And if anyone would want to spend a few days in the warmth of AZ staying at my vacation home to do the install, more the better!

They came with very short extensions, like 3”, on a 3 bolt flange. I like the idea of using band clamps for the entire system. I’ve looked at the header back h-pipes, but they have a collector flange, and what I need it just same without that. Maybe I buy those and cut them off. Do they make a pipe that ends at the mufflers, and is something I could modify to either make the downpipe from the shorty or get that made at a muffler shop?

I still have my question out there. What h pipe would you recommend; something that will get me close from my installed mufflers to my shorty headers? I have a 2 1/2” system. I would like to buy an h pipe with no front flanges, just pipe. While I have searched, for some reason, I cannot locate this specific h pipe. And, I forgot, I’ve got an AOD if that matters. I’m using that in my search; maybe that’s why I cannot locate this?

Back