Show me Examples of aftermarket gauge or tach installs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
I am rewiring my 71 302 convertible. It came with idiot lights and no tach. I also updated Alternator to internal regulator style. Still have points ignition. I know Rocketman makes an awesome tach and idiot light combo….not sure I want to go that route at this time. I don’t have center stack gauges., I will have a console.

So who has installed some aftermarket gauges? Where did you put them? Got pictures, part numbers, advice etc?
items up for consideration.
water temp
oil pressure
volts
tachometer.

Looking for a budget install for now that might be upgraded to Rocketman tach in a few years."
thanks!

I am rewiring my 71 302 convertible. It came with idiot lights and no tach. I also updated Alternator to internal regulator style. Still have points ignition. I know Rocketman makes an awesome tach and idiot light combo….not sure I want to go that route at this time. I don’t have center stack gauges., I will have a console.

So who has installed some aftermarket gauges? Where did you put them? Got pictures, part numbers, advice etc?
water temp
oil pressure
volts
tachometer.

Looking for a budget install for now that might be upgraded to Rocketman tach in a few years."
thanks!
RIBS,
I was in your boat a few years ago and bought aftermarket gauges and a Sun tach but... I couldn't bring myself to drilling holes etc and messing with the original beauty of her by making her wear implants. I had those two electrical wizards (RM & ML) set me up to have "clean" and accurate functionality of my clev.
I have indexed points on my gauges from verifying with manual ones. I should send in the clock one of these years, but I still have time for that later...

Attachments

• 6CB976AE-9905-4677-8C93-94F3CA8E3366.jpeg
    6CB976AE-9905-4677-8C93-94F3CA8E3366.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 012B5A08-3E85-4653-B7A1-C25C5748027C.jpeg
    012B5A08-3E85-4653-B7A1-C25C5748027C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
Absolutely a + 1 on Rocketman's tach conversion. Best deal ever for a non tach car.
A center stack is very doable BUT not cheap to do right. I did mine back around 2015 (or was it 2017?) and posted several images of my build, but unfortunately, I can't seem to find the post in "search". However below are a couple of pics that may give some ideas. I can add more if interested. This is NOT the only solution as others have posted their ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.1.JPG
    IMG_0218.1.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1086.1JPG.JPG
    IMG_1086.1JPG.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 23
Dakota Digital in my 73.

xiDugoa.jpg

RIBS,
I was in your boat a few years ago and bought aftermarket gauges and a Sun tach but... I couldn't bring myself to drilling holes etc and messing with the original beauty of her by making her wear implants. I had those two electrical wizards (RM & ML) set me up to have "clean" and accurate functionality of my clev.
I have indexed points on my gauges from verifying with manual ones. I should send in the clock one of these years, but I still have time for that later...
RIB's
I should have stated my babe didn't have the gauge cluster so I bought those and the center bezel section privately, had RM redo the ammeter (for volts) and needles for oil and water. ML and RM both assisted me in the correct wiring/fuse block for it all work together. All in it was around $350 for parts and 6hrs to dis & reassemble to make it all look factory. I still have $250 of gauges and tach I spec'd out but didn't install.

On my 71, I have the center gauges and also wanted to keep things as original as possible. I have the tach but wanted more reliable gauges for temp and oil than the factory ones. The ammeter since its a possible fire hazard, I had converted to a voltmeter via Rocketman.

Autometer oil and temp gauges were installed in a slanted pod that I believe is normally used for the Shelbys. This mounts nicely on the transmission hump under the temp controls and slant towards the driver. Everything is wired in using Weather Pack connectors so that if someone at some time wants to remove the additions, it can be done easily.

Attachments

• Gauge_Addition.jpg
    Gauge_Addition.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Gauges.JPG
    Gauges.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Steve,
That is about the cleanest area to put AM gauges if there isn't a clock in the counsel. Anywhere under the dash was just a no-go for me and my knees.

like EdM, we installed a set of Dakota Digital VHX units in both of our 73 Mustangs. I am traveling at the moment and do not have access t my group of photos. We got the red illumination and carbon Fiber shell. Looks sharp. A bit costly, but well worth it. Like you, on both of our 73 Mustangs the oem units were laden with idiot lights.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dak...175i199i433.5276j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
We akso installed Classic Air A/C kits to both Mustangs. No regrets, they work well.

https://www.classicautoair.com/

IMG_20220106_132729375.jpg
I bought a new center piece for the three gauge cluster and rounded out the holes to have the gauges fit flush. My Mach didn't come with the gauge pack originally and I didn't want them mounted under the dash. I also had the idiot light conversion done by rocket man for an original looking tach.

water temp
oil pressure
volts
tachometer.

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9843.JPG
    IMG_9843.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
I removed the clock and added Auto Meter mechanical oil psi and water temp.
this might be the best option for me…did you just make a backing plate and mount it, or did you have to modify console? Happen to have any part numbers?

Thanks all, I see 3 or so options, Rocketman tach is really nice, but I still need oil and water., I could replace center stack with gauge version. I could cut my center stack and modify, I could delete my console clock….the Clock replacement idea is probably most cost affective…which is what I need….

I made a backing plate. It was pretty easy. I glued black vinyl to it so it looks like it matches. On the back side, the brackets that hold the gauges on are against the console, so it holds it all together. No drilling and you can return it to stock if you want.

I ended up installing 2 gauges in the radio opening.
1.5 inch diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_2605.jpeg
    IMG_2605.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Dakota Digital in my 73.

xiDugoa.jpg
This store is local to me, it is on the plan for my '71 Mach1 after paint. My tach is knop, speedo is jumpy. Believe the solution you chose seems to be the best route for me.

Tell me the good, and the bad of this solution please.

This store is local to me, it is on the plan for my '71 Mach1 after paint. My tach is knop, speedo is jumpy. Believe the solution you chose seems to be the best route for me.

Tell me the good, and the bad of this solution please.
@EdM Dakota Digital setup looks nice. In the meantime, a jumpy speedometer can usually be corrected by lubricating the speedometer cable. Use a light grease.

@EdM Dakota Digital setup looks nice. In the meantime, a jumpy speedometer can usually be corrected by lubricating the speedometer cable. Use a light grease.
I am aware of the lube, tach inop guages are "unreliable" so far. Just think new cluster and sensors are a better solution.

Back