Side stripe stencil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwazmt

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang convertible
Hello everyone,

Getting ready to paint my '71 vert. I really want to paint the side stripes and hood scoop. The hood stencils are easy to find, but I cannot find any sites that have the side stripe stencil. Any ideas?

Find a striped car and make your own meadurements and tape off the stripes yourself. It is not difficult.

There aren't any. The side stripes were never painted on unless it was custom. I originally wanted to paint mine anyway but the shop back out of the deal when we got down to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticking the stripes on is bad enough - there are so many cars out there where the job was rushed and the stripes came out misaligned or wavy. It's hard to get away with just eyeballin' something with so much length involved (what might look good from the side, might be a "surfer's delight" when viewed from the front looking down the length of the stripes themselves). That's one of the main reasons (among a few others) I'm hesitant to put the stripes on mine (another being that mine was originally a 'no-stripe' car, and I hafta admit I kinda like it that way).

Getting a painter to duplicate the vinyl stripes in paint might be a tough deal, as not all painters are automatically masters of striping and/or graphics (for instance, my painter was awesome with the bodywork and laying down paint... but not so much with the graphics - I actually had to lay down my own TuTone hood stencil after he'd gotten it wrongly placed).

If your painter has the skills, the "eye" and ability to accurately duplicate the look, and you can afford it, you might consider having them pick up a set of stripes to use as an aid in making a stencil. Thanks to the advent of laser line indicators, there's no reason someone should have any problems getting their stripes straight, providing they take their time and do it right.

Good luck with it - make sure to post up pics. ::thumb::

Hello everyone,

Getting ready to paint my '71 vert. I really want to paint the side stripes and hood scoop. The hood stencils are easy to find, but I cannot find any sites that have the side stripe stencil. Any ideas?
A buddy and I painted my 73 vert last year and I bought a set of decals, layed them out on the car as a template and got it all marked, removed them and taped it all off. Was a lot of work but well worth it now that its done. Here is a picture I had of the finished product.

73vert.jpg

Looking good there Bobmarlojill......thanks for all the input guys. My buddy who is painting the car mentioned using a stripe kit as a stencil. After reading your posts, it looks like that may be the best option.

Thanks again......hope to have this beast done in 4 weeks or so.

Take care,

Jim

we should throw money in a pot and share the stencil cost. It saves having to pay for a stripe decal and never using it as it was intended. By the way if you want to put decals on use warm soapy water under the decall and you can adjust it, then squeegee the water from underneath. Done it many times works great on woodgrain when you have to line up the grain just a tip for those wanting to use the stripe kit.

I set up a laser line level across the side of the car when putting on the decals.
Awesome....I wish I had thought to do that when I striped mine. :(

Good idea on the laser line. I suspect I will be buying a stripe kit and using it for reference only. After I am complete, Go Time, and if its still intact, I will drop you a line.

Yeah - good idea, John. ::thumb::

I guess I just used too many words when I pretty much suggested the same thing. rofl

I am just a little puzzled as to why you would want to paint them. It is just as difficult or more so to get the taped off mask straight as the tape stripes and like mentioned if you follow the directions that come with the stripes the soapy water allows you to move it around. If something happens later and you have to paint a panel trying to match the paint and the painted stripes would be a real pain. I have used half sets of stripes for front end damaged cars and you could not see the difference.

If I were looking at purchasing a car and the stripes were painted I would not even consider it since it would require a full paint job to correct.

I guess it is each to his own. I have never understood why some paint the hood black out shiny defeats the purpose of killing the glare. The tape kits are cheap and you can remove with heat gun if you decide you do not like it. Paint is expensive and difficult to reverse.

David

I am just a little puzzled as to why you would want to paint them. It is just as difficult or more so to get the taped off mask straight as the tape stripes and like mentioned if you follow the directions that come with the stripes the soapy water allows you to move it around. If something happens later and you have to paint a panel trying to match the paint and the painted stripes would be a real pain. I have used half sets of stripes for front end damaged cars and you could not see the difference.

If I were looking at purchasing a car and the stripes were painted I would not even consider it since it would require a full paint job to correct.

I guess it is each to his own. I have never understood why some paint the hood black out shiny defeats the purpose of killing the glare. The tape kits are cheap and you can remove with heat gun if you decide you do not like it. Paint is expensive and difficult to reverse.

David
EXACTLY! These stripes are nothing new people. Lots of cars, besides Mustangs, had factory appliques' as well. You don't find many people wanting to have that big Firebird decal hand painted on the hood of one of those cars, do you? Just do the right, and most pragmatic thing here.....buy the factory style applique' and have a shop put it on if you don't trust your own eyeballs. Move on. Unless you are building a custom car and want stripes in a color other than the factory, there's no reason paint them on.

I'd have this Firebird painted on the hood of a Trans Am. ;) :D

DSC_0322.JPG

WOW.......I would paint that on any car! maybe put it on my red flyer pull wagon ;-)

Back