Single/double din unit instead of vents

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerbickel

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Hard Top 351C 2V
Let me start by saying that I don't yet have my car and it's set to arrive Sunday or Monday. I'm wondering if anyone has ever fit a single or double din unit where the vents/storage tray go in the center dash? Looking at the pictures of the car I bought, it appears an aftermarket 8 track player was installed there, and the car didn't come with AC so don't really need vents unless I decide to add AC down the road. The radio is in non working condition and I have to work on it anyways, so I was thinking of doing a restomod and installing a more modern head unit there instead.

For years I rode around with the single DIN stereo out of my ford ranger stuffed under the heater/AC controls in my mach1. There's room there between the transmission tunnel and the trim around the heater.

I bet if you can find a single DIN with a touchscreen you can make it work. Some of them have the screen motorized. Other ones the screen is fixed in place and you decide at install time how high and at what angle you want the screen. With a motorized screen, you could put the transmission in one of the positions with the shifter further back and the screen will flip down and you can easily access the heater controls.

1655690979376.png
1655690998158.png

Back