Size Matters.....???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach1 4spd Qcode Now: 427C Titus CHI top end TKO600 4whl disc
Now that I got your attention; We 71-73 owners hear the all the common misperceptions concerning the size of our cars. While out and about yesterday, I had to take this size comparison photo of my 72 between two common pick-ups, it was almost like our Mustangs could fit in the truck beds!

Attachments

• 20220604_172228.jpg
    20220604_172228.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Now that I got your attention; We 71-73 owners hear the all the common misperceptions concerning the size of our cars. While out and about yesterday, I had to take this size comparison photo of my 72 between two common pick-ups, it was almost like our Mustangs could fit in the truck beds!
Wow - that looks exactly like my '21 Ram Longhorn parked next to your Mach 1!

I've posted a bunch of comparison pics in other threads, and this is the only one I have access to here at work, but it's fairly easy to see that the late-model is about the same size, if not a little bigger than the '71. I think there's also a lot of optical dillusion going on, as people are not taking wheel size into consideration when contemplating size vs. appearance. Standing alone, the late-model could seem smaller than it really is when compared to a picture of a '71-'73 - proportionally, one tends to think the wheels are similar in size, therefore the late-model 'should be smaller' based on proportions. Truth is, it has 20-inch rims vs. the 14" Magnums on the '71 (imagine how big the '71 would be were the wheels actually the same size as the late-model and in proportion).

IMG_0476.JPGBumper to bumper, the late model is about the same size. Side-to-side, same. However, the '71's roof is shorter, and oddly enough, there's actually less room inside the late-model for people.

Not everything is as it seems.

I recently compiled the weight of various Mustangs throughout the year to get an historical view of weight. While the 71-73 was the heavier of its era, its weight was surpassed by 2005 and eclipsed thereafter. I didn't compile the weight for each year, but every 2-3 years.
1654548256565.png

This thread is great! I read all the time about the size of the 71-73 Stangs - Large Marge, etc. But seeing the photo above of a 71 Mach1 next to a late model Stang is telling. I had a 2005 Stang and I do remember the inside cab being much more tighter then my 72 Coupe. And then lets not even compare the engine compartment. With some slight modification of the towers, if at all, I can still stuff a real big block (not stroker) in that bay. You can't do that with today's stang. But there are more safety requirements etc today then back in the early 70s. All that stuff takes up space. But still very cool to see the comparison. It would be interesting to see all three models - late model stang, 71-73 stang, and and earlier "smaller" stang 65-70 era.

After 1968, the design team changed and went to Larry Shinoda brought in under GM's Bunkie Knudsen - these produced the 1969 and 1970 fatties, as I refer to them. By 1970 sales dropped markedly; the buying public walked away unhappy with the bulbous, pudding bodies, also America's Automotive industry was beginning to strain with imports. ...Lee Iacocca was to have said " The Mustang market never left us. we (sic... the Ford Motor Company) left it"

I personally don't like Shinoda's fatties - a term people used about all Mustangs after 69 - that bulbous, ugly back end and tail light system - when the 67, 68 rear was so refined and slick.

Of course the poor old 71 got tarred with the same brush and it mistakenly stuck. America had their Mustang Sports cars (Shelby) ...The showroom public demand in the late 60's was for "so called", European luxury.

After Bunkie was Kicked out - Iacocca put Gale Halderman and team back in the saddle of design and came up with, what I think is, a rakish, sleeker styling for 71. I cannot look at it and call it the overweight pudding some people (none owners especially) think it is. (n)

Then of course 1974 saw a shocking downsizing... like taking the drawings to a photo-copier and hitting the 50% reduce button.

TBH...At some point, I'd like a 68 fastback that's been sufficiently messed around with that no one would shoot me down for making a Steve McQueen tribute car in Highland Green with a 390 in it.

Attachments

• fatties.jpg
    fatties.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 15
I have a 73 cougar, so it's even bigger. I put a picture on Facebook to show people it's not big compared to modern cars. It looks weird compared to my little Toyota scion.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1654614109536.jpg
    FB_IMG_1654614109536.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 19
It's all kind of 'eye of the beholder,' when it comes to Mustangs. I'm actually not a fan of the '64-'68 fastbacks, and prefer the hard tops of those years - the fastbacks just look like an after-thought to me, with the boxy greenhouse looking more appropriate for the year model styling. My personal preference would have to rank them in the order of: hard top, 'vert, fastback.

The '69 fastback is probably the most iconic classic Mustang, IMHO, with the Boss 429 being the Holy Grail of coolness. The quad-headlight grille is meanest the Mustangs have ever looked, and the 'fatty' fenders just highlight the need for some fat sticky tires in the rear to scream, "Get used to seeing the taillights." The '70 Boss 302 is the coolest of the '70 models (although, a '70 Boss 429 is a rare hen's tooth, that's for sure). Then there are the '69 & '70 Shelbys - which are the coolest of the Shelbys, IMHO. The '69 - '70 fastbacks just look more like they were 'intentional' to me than the earlier fastback year models, My ranking, fastback, 'vert, hard top.

Even though I've chosen my '71 Mach 1 as my favorite Mustang, I'm also drawn to the '71-'73 'verts (thanks to seeing all the cool cars on this site).

Out of my comments above, I can't say for sure which one I'd pick today, but if I had to choose between any of the '69-'73 fastbacks or 'verts, I'd have a hard choice to make. As much as I love my Mach 1, I feel like if I had a chance to do it all over again, I might go the direction of a 'vert instead.

I have a 73 cougar, so it's even bigger. I put a picture on Facebook to show people it's not big compared to modern cars. It looks weird compared to my little Toyota scion.
A neighbor up the street had a nice '73 XR-7 Cougar, and I remember thinking of how cool it would be to have that car, decked out with some Keystone Classics, traction bars, and 60-series BFGs (staggered, with some fat boys in the rear).

I know there's a bit of perspective involved, but that Scion looks like a mini-van compared to your awesome Cougar.

Yep, see what ya mean.
Our 71-73 stangs look smaller every passing year!

You are a vert....a pervert (y):ROFLMAO::love::giggle:
Choose your favorite reply:
  1. Is that all you got?!
  2. Don't quit your day job.
  3. Yeah... and?!
  4. I know you are, but what am I?
  5. Takes one to know one, Mate!
All meant in the nicest possible way, of course!

I have heard that of Cougars! size matters to them even the old ones from 71 to 73..... :ROFLMAO:

Back