Sloppy steering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get a lucky volunteer to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you take a long look at the rag joint, pitman arm, tie rod ends, ball joints etc.

Doing that before you start adjusting the sector shaft or throwing parts at it would be advised.

The rag joint is the same, but both sides of the coupler are different, neither has provisions for engaging the pins. The upper coupler bolts to the column shaft. The lower has a different diameter and spline count.

Posts #5 & 6 in this thread shows both sides of the coupler, post #1 shows the end of the steering column shaft?
I guess the Ford assembly manual is wrong then. Or it might be just a 73 thing. They show one number just space the tilt .150" more spacing with special tool inserted to flex the rubber. 

I just use the one rubber off the help rack at Advance. Always forget the Dorman number but works on mine and zero play in steering.

I would start with a trip to the alignment shop.  Poor alignment will really make these cars feel sloppy...and the shop will tell you what is wrong 90% of the time if there is a mechanical issue before they start any work.
If I don’t see any play in the components a trip to the alignment shop might be the best course of action.  

I read the other rag joint related posts and ordered the rock auto one.

Don't forget to check for a loose nut behind the steering wheel...

I’ve got the new rag joint and I am working on putting it in. 

What size bolt holds the joint to the steering box?  It looks like a 12 point star bolt. I need to go buy the right socket

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, just a regular, out-of-the toolbox, 7/16" 12-point socket.
Yeah,  I figured it out after awhile.  6 point sockets don’t fit so good.  My 12 point 7/16 was missing but a got a new one.

The new rag joint is in.  That job sucked.  Going for a test drive after a shower.

It's a PITA, that's for sure. It's one of those things you want to do when the engine is out, or the steering box is out, whether it's needed or not at that time, because it's just a matter of time before the old one gives up.

Well the verdict is in.  The rag joint did seem to fix most of the violent darting across lanes.  There is still more wandering than I’d like. The wife works at the Ford dealership so it looks like she’ll bring it in for the alignment guy to give it a once over.

My '71 had the same symptoms...more play than I'd like, wandering a bit, bumpy roads had me hold the wheel with both hands firmly. I had a set of new lower control arms complete, and new strut rod bushings, in the garage so I had an alignment shop put them on. I knew I was going to have the alignment shop give the front end an alignment check, so I had them put that stuff on prior. Nothing really changed. So I took the car to a 2nd different alignment shop. The second shop told me that the first shop hadn't properly tightened the lower control arms to the frame, so the second shop re-tightened everything the first shop did and re-checked the alignment. Still no change.....something's wrongl. So off I went to a third shop that specialized in suspension work, and within minutes, the third guy tells me my steering box is shot. That's O.K., I had another used box in the garage, and I sent it over to Lee Manufacturing in Valencia, Calif, to have it completely re-built. My spare box was so worn, Lee Mfg had to sleeve the box to bring tolerances in line, and they replaced every seal, bearing, and bushing. My box is a Variable Ratio box that was standard on the Mach 1( competition suspension ). Lee Mfg offers virtually any ratio and assorted mods, but I told them to overhaul my VR box"Factory Stock".

Lee Mfg also carries high quality steering couplers, just like factory quality, and I bought one too. Along with a set of new hoses ( from my auto parts store ), I brought it all back to the third suspension shop for installation. They did it all in a few hours, including checking the alignment again.

Now, It's got solid good mannered steering, I like to drive with my elbow resting on the windowsill and two fingers on the wheel. The VR box is nice and responsive close to straight ahead, and eases up for 90 degree work like turning in or out of parking spots. I'm soooooooo glad I had that steering box done.

Back