Slowest resto ever - Project AmsterFoose / Current subject: The roof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah baby! It's done! And this was the LAST (planned) panel replacement, a milestone for me!

Because I had forgotten to take measurements before I removed the panel I had to take a load of measurements to figure out the best position for my replacement:

View attachment 82194

In the end I had it positioned just fine:

View attachment 82195

My stacked-hole plug welding technique also proved to work quite well:

View attachment 82196

I won't show every one of the 60 plug welds I had to make but the result is a very well fitting and well positioned new battery tray apron:

View attachment 82198

View attachment 82200

View attachment 82197 View attachment 82199

This job concludes a three year proces of replacing large body panels: taillight panel, trunk corners, trunk drop-offs, quarters and wheel well edges, 2 half floors, corners of the lower cowl panel and finally the battery tray apron. In between there were some other odd jobs, the biggest one was building (from scratch) and adding the subframe connectors.

Now it's time to get all the holes I won't be using anymore filled up and maybe see if I can tuck the rear bumper. After that the car will need to be made ready for the dipper!

Stay tuned....
Excellent work and determination, well done! Chuck

Saw your post in my topic and had a look see with what you're talking about. I'm looking at a more isolated repair on the lower part of the apron 'cause I didn't want to mess with the upper alignment, structural and hole fabricating. It's also all original with no wreck damage and no rust other than what the battery mount area caused through the past owner's neglect. I'd still have the original factory inspection stickers if I hadn't lost my mind while cleaning off dirt and grime. It's really that lower area under the batter that had been damage from acid and time-related rust.
From the looks of things with your project, you're making some great headway and things are looking really sharp.

Saw your post in my topic and had a look see with what you're talking about. I'm looking at a more isolated repair on the lower part of the apron 'cause I didn't want to mess with the upper alignment, structural and hole fabricating. It's also all original with no wreck damage and no rust other than what the battery mount area caused through the past owner's neglect. I'd still have the original factory inspection stickers if I hadn't lost my mind while cleaning off dirt and grime. It's really that lower area under the batter that had been damage from acid and time-related rust.
From the looks of things with your project, you're making some great headway and things are looking really sharp.
Fair points! I think I’d do the same in your case. Just be careful with that support part underneath. Look for the spot welds and grind them out first and don’t cut into it 😎

Fair points! I think I’d do the same in your case. Just be careful with that support part underneath. Look for the spot welds and grind them out first and don’t cut into it 😎
Will do. Actually, the support bracket you cleaned was as acid burned as the apron. I believe it was maybe here, earlier on in the thread or maybe another thread entirely, things kind've run together at times. Anyhow, there was a guy someone named that makes them new. Jumped on that quicker than I bought the dang car itself! It arrived last week and now I'm wishing he made the aprons too. While I'm still trying to line up all the supplies needed for the job and I haven't test fit the apron in the car due to space but the new support bracket fits as dang near perfect as the day it was made in the late weeks of August 1971. At least that's the timeframe the date stamp on my apron explains.
Really spooky thing, I can almost remember what I was doing back then, you know, the days on the stamps. Maybe a little fuzzy but almost. Kinda sends a shiver down your spine when uncovering these things.

Back