so what would happen if I took the 545 stroker from my 78 Ranger and

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
put it in my 73 Mex mach 1.  my 78 Ranger is running a newly built 545 stroker making a bit over 600hp.  it started as a 460 block from a 70s Lincoln car.  the ranger started life with a 351w, so seems like the 351w from my Mach 1 could go back in. the truck is running a TCI built C6.  the mach 1 is running a hurst 4sp shifter, not exactly sure what trans. I guess I would need a new trans and shifter in the mach 1 after the swap...

my concern is right now the Mex Mach 1 is numbers matching, and is somewhat rare.  I know that rare does not mean valuable, but my dilemma is whether to keep the mach 1 original, or go full on rest-mod....

Hey do what you want with your car. You could restore it perfect never drive it and polish it every day. Never get to do a burn out or take on a spin on a nice curvy mountain road. Then when you die the estate sale will be a low price and someone will drive it. Never put off doing something you never know when you number will come up.

Enjoy life and what you have and don't worry about what others will think.

I think I have a better idea. last year I put a new 306( 380hp, 420 torque at 4500 rpm) crate motor in my 90 Bronco. I regret putting in a small displacement higher revving motor. I would prefer the Bronco to have more hp and drive at more like 1500-2500 rpm. I think the way the 306 crate motor drives could be really good in my Mach 1, then I could buy the "right" motor for my Bronco. rebuilding the 351 in the mach 1 is needed, and might not even be possible if its true that it was rebuilt once already in 1981. a rebuild with new top end would be as much as a crate motor, so this swap might be the best route.

If you decide to keep it original, and your 351W cylinders are maxed out, have the block sleeved.

I agree about your Bronco, especially if you do any (sane) off-roading, you need lots of torque at 1,000 RPM, not 4,500.

Good luck on your builds, let us know how it goes.

put it in my 73 Mex mach 1.  my 78 Ranger is running a newly built 545 stroker making a bit over 600hp. 
If you stomp on the gas - the Earth would spin the other way 

Then you'd have 6,999,999,000 lawsuits from all the other humans on the planet whose weather patterns and lives have been turned upside-down :whistling:

last winter when I was looking for a Mach 1 to buy, I test drove a '71 with a Keith Craft motor making 500+ hp out in AZ. the car had too many issues so I passed on it, but that car with a 4sp could move !

Back