So you want some horsepower...427 SOHC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2014 corvette LT1 engine is a pushrod. Back in the 60's the Italians were putting OHC engines in little spider coupes! Hey had variable cam timing 40yrs ago! While our pushrods have proven their value even up until today, the reality it that had it not been for mopar and the racing gods not crushing the Ford SOHC we might all be driving OHC more efficient engines today and the Cleveland may never have been built.

2014 corvette LT1 engine is a pushrod. Back in the 60's the Italians were putting OHC engines in little spider coupes! THey had variable cam timing 40yrs ago! While our pushrods have proven their value even up until today, the reality is that had it not been for mopar and the racing gods crushing the Ford SOHC we might all be driving OHC more efficient engines today and the Cleveland may never have been built.

Last edited by a moderator:
DOHC aluminum v8 1940's tank motor, dual distributors ;) 70 year old motor makes some look behind in tech..lol What a beast..They expect 5400 rpm's out of that big beasty.one heavy stang..lol

Back in 1984 a fella by the name of Bill Heiter opened a crate in his garage to show me the one his dad had bought but never used. Told him how valuable it was. Wonder if he ever put it in a car.

I wonder how it would fit in our bays?
Mustangs & Fords July 1997, Readers' Roundup. Alan and Judy Shaw of Lake Havasu City AZ, 427 SOHC under bonnet of '71 Mach 1. This was the first time I ever did laid my eyes on '71-'73 Mach 1, it only needed an correct engine to got my attention.

427 SOHC goes there bolt-on as Boss 429.

MustangsampFordsJuly1997_zps75abee7f.jpg

Lots of people think Chrysler invented the Hemi but not so. I think his name was Ricardo or something like that in England. You could buy hemi head conversions for the Model T, Model A and most have probably heard or the Ardun conversions for the Ford V-8 flathead. All are Hemi design. Lots of current 4 cylinders use it. Chrysler just happened to trade mark the Hemi name so nobody can say anything, lol. You can just get a bigger valve in a smaller area and more flow.

The SOHC was so short lived I have the parts books from our local Ford dealer that supplied NASCAR racers and I seem to recall they were a little over $2,000 new.

Fred Millar a tool & die shop owner had one for years and finally sold it when prices went up.

Did you know they made a tunnel port 289 for a short time before the Boss 302 came out? Been looking for one but only found 15 rockers for one, lol.

Great memories.

David

Lots of people think Chrysler invented the Hemi but not so. I think his name was Ricardo or something like that in England. You could buy hemi head conversions for the Model T, Model A and most have probably heard or the Ardun conversions for the Ford V-8 flathead. All are Hemi design. Lots of current 4 cylinders use it. Chrysler just happened to trade mark the Hemi name so nobody can say anything, lol. You can just get a bigger valve in a smaller area and more flow.

The SOHC was so short lived I have the parts books from our local Ford dealer that supplied NASCAR racers and I seem to recall they were a little over $2,000 new.

Fred Millar a tool & die shop owner had one for years and finally sold it when prices went up.

Did you know they made a tunnel port 289 for a short time before the Boss 302 came out? Been looking for one but only found 15 rockers for one, lol.

Great memories.

David
I thought the tunnel port small block was a 302. Ford scrapped it the tunnel port heads after 1 race season and used the Cleveland heads which was still under development for the pantera. Ironically the Boss heads flow better than the tunnel ports did despite the fact that the ports look smaller.

And they still employ these ideas today. My little Ford Ranger has the 4.0 which is a V-6 with overhead cams. Produces 207hp, has a lot of internals that are eerily similar to that old race motor design. Love it, and love my Mustang!! Fords forever!!!

Was at the Spring Hornets Nest Car Show at Charlotte Motor Speedway a few years back. Saw a 56 F100 with a tilt front end and a beautiful chromed SOHC 427. Owner said that it was stock and with a single 4bl had dynoed at 680 horsepower. No variable cam timing, no EFI, no tuning from a laptop from inside the car. Just raw, nasty, ole school, a$$ kickin' horsepower. No wonder Chrysler cried like a raped ape when they found out about this Monster!! Can you imagine what kind of power would be at your disposal had the SOHC 427 and the 351C continued in production instead of the short life span they had from Ford?

Back