Soliciting input for clutch and pressure plate.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
B1
Gents,
I have a chattering clutch during engagement and being aware of some possible oil contamination and or rust on the flywheel/pressure plate from being parked for 20+ years I’m going to tear it down in anticipation of replacing the clutch disc, pressure plate, and resurfacing the flywheel at a minimum. Of course any leaks will be addressed also.
what would you guys recommend for the replacement clutch disc and pressure plate?
The car is a basically stock Boss 351.
Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I prefer the original "long" style pressure plates for these cars. If you are looking for a quality stock replacement this RAM unit should work well. Chuck https://www.summitracing.com/parts/.../mustang/submodel/boss-351/year/1971#overview Borg Warner used to make a decent stock clutch but, I don't if they still do. I'd check the condition of the flywheel before ordering the clutch. You may want to check the condition of the pilot bearing as well. I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Thanks very much for the data! I fully intend to change the pilot bushing too. Of course now I can put a needle bearing style unit instead of a brass or bronze alloy standard model. …. Decisions, decisions…..

I've used both types of pilot bushings. I went back to the old style "olive" bushing. Chuck

Back