Soliciting thoughts on changing paint color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm still a ways from actually approaching a new paint job but I‘ve been pondering a color change when I do. Original is a (very faded) 6E-Medium Bright Yellow, black decor striping with a black (convertible) black top and black interior. I’m not concerned about 100% original although I‘ve been keeping updates to mostly resto- with only minor upgrades when I necessary. For example, radio was only mildly functioning so I went with a modern-acting but old-looking new replacement and just didn’t like the look, so got a working replacement standard Ford AM/FM.

There’s one ‘vert here in black with argent stripes and hood trim. Love that look.

Anyway, just pondering thoughts about changing from the factory color.

Last edited:
I had a Medium Bright Yellow 73 Mach 1 back in the early 80s. It had contrasting black hood, stripes, rear wing and interior. The yellow really pops with the black when fresh and polished. I really liked the way that car looked.

Black and argent is sharp, as well, Tough choices!

I color changed mine during restoration, inside and out because the original combination was awful, in my opinion. I would suggest staying with colors available for your car when it was produced. Black demands Perfect body work. In the end, it is your car. Chuck

One of the benefits (if you can call it that) of most of our cars not really being truly rare by any measureable amount is that you do have some freedoms if you want them. If my car ever goes in for any form of major bodywork or paint repair it's probably going in 2B Bright Red and coming back out Grabber Lime.

Mine began life as metallic pewter with green interior. Back when I had it repainted (1990), my favorite color was grabber blue, so I went with that and changed to a black interior. These cars look great in metallic pewter, but I do not care at all for the silver/green combo. Along with the blue, I also added a blackened hood and side stripes. It's long overdue for a repaint and I'll probably stay with grabber blue. I've kept the original H code pieces and the green interior parts that didn't get replaced with black, so I could go back if desired....I just don't think I want to.

I've become a big fan of Calypso Coral and Grabber Green Metallic....one of those colors is not out of the question, but not very likely either. I might paint one of my rancheros GGM...the other one is red...and the paint is decent so it'll probably stay red.

Just my thoughts but if you have an original car, matching numbers, Marti report, etc, stay with the factory colour. Didn't think I would ever buy/paint a yellow car, BUT, glad I stayed with the factory Medium Bright Yellow. Every time I am out with the car, without exception, I get great comments from kids to oldies like me. Just today, went to the bottle shop for some refreshments and a bloke pulled up in the car park to comment "beautiful car mate". Every one to their own but stay with what you like, you'll enjoy the ride anyhow.

I still a ways from actually approaching a new paint job but I‘ve been pondering a color change when I do. Original is a (very faded) 6E-Medium Bright Yellow, black decor striping with a black (convertible) black top and black interior. I’m not concerned about 100% original although I‘ve been keeping updates to mostly resto- with only minor upgrades when I necessary. For example, radio was only mildly functioning so I went with a modern-acting but old-looking new replacement and just didn’t like the look, so got a working replacement standard Ford AM/FM.

There’s one ‘vert here in black with argent stripes and hood trim. Love that look.

Anyway, just pondering thoughts about changing from the factory color.
I feel your pain. I have a rare 73 Vert that was originally Pink that I am restoring right now. My intention has always been to take it back to the original colour but I am not keeping the rest of the car stock. I am updating brakes (S550), engine (fuel injection with 500hp), transmission (4R-70W), rear gears (from 2.75 to 3.5's with trulock), subframe connectors, rear springs, cloth convertible top, rear spoiler, front spoiler and a Ram Air hood. So do I really need to keep it pink?

I feel your pain. I have a rare 73 Vert that was originally Pink that I am restoring right now. My intention has always been to take it back to the original colour but I am not keeping the rest of the car stock. I am updating brakes (S550), engine (fuel injection with 500hp), transmission (4R-70W), rear gears (from 2.75 to 3.5's with trulock), subframe connectors, rear springs, cloth convertible top, rear spoiler, front spoiler and a Ram Air hood. So do I really need to keep it pink?
IMO Aces, it sounds like you are rebuilding it how you want it to be mechanically so why not the way you want it as far as color as well? I feel if you prefer a different color, it is your car and you should do what makes you happy. If you were building a concourse, everything original car then it would be different but it doesn't sound like that is your goal, nor is it mine with my car.
RC92234, your car sounds like an original car and I would keep it the original color if it was mine, but it's not, so just my opinion. I would imagine in Palm Springs you probably aren't looking to paint it a darker color considering the sun beating down on it. I agree with Aus73Mach1, I think the yellow with black accents and interior really pops and is an attention grabber.

Last edited:
Hi RC,

Can pass on my 2 cents worth here to help you make up your mind on what you decide to end up doing.

Things to bare in mind...............................................

1. Your current factory original color scheme, solid yellow on black top/trim with black interior is Internationally recognized as one of the great color scheme combos of all time. It is a classic evergreen combo, and nothing to be ever ashamed of. That combo is and will be always sort after in the Classic car world.
2. Regards color changing your ride, yes, you have the freedom to do that if you want, but it gets hard deciding what color you will end up going with, as there are a gazillion different colors out there to choose from. Having a black roof and interior puts you ahead of the choice game, as there are many exterior color choices that lend to that combo scheme of pairing up with a black roof/ interior/ trim scheme.
3. Be aware that in general terms, color changing your car takes away the value of that vehicle somewhat as it takes away the originality of that said vehicle. There is never a case of trying to cover up your color change from buyers as the original factory code will always be there for the world to see. This leads into point 4.
4. What is your future intention of your car ownership? Do you want to own and enjoy the car for the short term or long term? That matters in the sense that a short term ownership and color changing, will have more of a baring on loosing value with resale than a long term ownership of selling on a long time down the track. ( it ends up not really being an issue with long term ownership in the long run)
5. Be aware that a good quality color change will cost more in the sense that to be done properly, your underside of the hood/ trunk, door jambs, trunk interior, will have to done/colored up as well. The exception is the engine bay and the trunk interior, as the engine bay is mat/ satin black and you can use the black theme for the trunk interior as well if you want.( maybe a full black custom carpet job like i ended up doing)
6. As mentioned above, all black cars be it solids/ pearls/ metallics, have to be prepared, painted and finished to perfection as the blacks and dark colors show every little imperfection. They are also very soft, delicate finishes and are hard to keep clean and scratch/swirl free as time goes on. Blacks have become a very popular World wide color choice with the general public, but are known as the most impracticable color choice of all, for all car ownership.That color choice will cost you more money that other colors. Any metallic or pearl color will also cost more money than any solid color. Your call there.
7. If you end up deciding to stay with your original factory solid yellow, you have three options of refinishing the car. You can go with a solid yellow base coat/ clear coat combo, or go with a solid color 2k single stage finish, or lastly as some choose to do, go with solid 2k yellow set up coats and finish off with a 2k clean clear top coat on top of that. That combo helps the solid yellow color to really pop. Bare in mind that any clear coat finish, does not last well under the sun's uv radiation bombardment.
8. What would i do? My own personal choice would be to stay with your original color. Best way to go when you ad it all up.(just my humble opinion)

That's about it it really. Hope my input helps you make up your mind on how you want to go in the end. At the end of the day, it's your call/ your choice.

Greg (pro auto spray painter) :)

Last edited:
I would not change my color from 2b red although I get annoyed when people call it orange in certain light conditions, If I changed anything I would go with a more deeper blood red. At this point paying my absurd property taxes and utilities is my bigger priority. We all are getting poorer weather we realize it or not. Conclusion: no paint job for Mr. Mustang any time soon.

Ron

I would not change my color from 2b red although I get annoyed when people call it orange in certain light conditions, If I changed anything I would go with a more deeper blood red. At this point paying my absurd property taxes and utilities is my bigger priority. We all are getting poorer weather we realize it or not. Conclusion: no paint job for Mr. Mustang any time soon.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the thumbs up. Yes i agree with you, that the cost of living has gotten way out of hand in the Western World of late, and so many people have had to re prioritize what they spend their money on these days. You need very deep pockets to pay professionals to refinish your car on today's costings/ prices.

Greg.:(

I'd have a tough time color changing a Medium Bright Yellow car to anything else. It's such a great color that's not too "in your face", but still has a performance feel with the Decor Group. I think if you see it in a fresh coat of color, you'll be very happy. Yellow fades and gets a "milky" look to it from sun damage.

Last edited:
I'd have a tough time color changing a Medium Bright Yellow car to anything else. It's such a great color that's not too "in your face", but still has a performance feel with the Decor Group. I think if you see it in a fresh coat of color, you'll be very happy. Yellow fades and gets a "milky" look to it from sun damage.
Good call Hemi,

All auto paints suffer and break down prematually from an excess of Sun/Uv exposure. Pigments fade, and paints oxidize, clears break down and disintergrate. Reds and yellows are notorious for this fading and oxidizing problem. Best advice to any car owner, is if you want your paint finish to last and look great ongoing, keep your car out of the direct sun as much as possible. The better the quality of the paint is, the longer it will stand up to sundamage and general wear and tear. Quality car covers help a lot here for folks who (have) to leave their cars out in the sun all day, but they are a pain in the A to remove and refit every day .

Greg.

That's definitely where I'm at: faded and milky, with a few spots it's been rubbed to nearly bare metal on top of a very poor repaint. The sport decor trim looks like it was put on with a crayon.

That's definitely where I'm at: faded and milky, with a few spots it's been rubbed to nearly bare metal on top of a very poor repaint. The sport decor trim looks like it was put on with a crayon.
Hi again RC,
Just commenting on your latest reply ..............................................

I did not get into the technicalities of performing a respray on your car, but since you just mentioned that you feel the existing paintwork is in poor condition due to aging/ sun damage fading, worn through areas on the paint film, plus wear and tear and a dodgy previous paint job, then that would be another factor in upgrading your paintwork cost wise, as more than likely, you will be needing to go down the strip to bare metal and repaint road for a quality lasting job. That of course will meen a lot of extra money to be spent there if you get it done professionally.

Greg.:cry:

Ron
The thing that I love about 2B is that it looks orange in certain lighting especially since calypso coral could only be ordered as a special paint option. I find it a shame that there isn't more factory orange 71-71's as they wear it so well. I've owned a 71 Boss that was one of 4 CC ones. Regarding the original post. Keep it yellow especially with how loaded and rare your car is. If it were a common low optioned car, it wouldn't matter as much. If I weren't trying to downsize when your car was for sale you would have had to pay more, or I would have owned it as I love your car as it is.

I had a Medium Bright Yellow 73 Mach 1 back in the early 80s. It had contrasting black hood, stripes, rear wing and interior. The yellow really pops with the black when fresh and polished. I really liked the way that car looked.

Black and argent is sharp, as well, Tough choices!
Ditto, I had a 73 Mach 1 with the same paint job, Medium Bright Yellow, with Black hood and side stripes, it got lots of positive comments, but not as much as my gold glow 73 sports roof with just a brown half vinyl roof did, that one really got a lot of love from the masses. On the 73 Mach, there was a lot of yellow, because that year the Mach's didn't have the lowers in Black like they did on the 71-72's.

Attachments

• 77DBD23C-A855-4EBC-BB75-9D142FC9B2C5.jpeg
    77DBD23C-A855-4EBC-BB75-9D142FC9B2C5.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Also, the original formula single stage isn't legal in California, but you can find people to do it. I liken a clearcoat to a color change and a major mod deviating from original. Mods on rare cars should only be ones you can bolt on and off or maybe period correct like my power sunroof. I prefer a car I can buff verses peeling clearcoat. From my experience clearcoat from the factory has lasted longer than a repaint clearcoat. Not sure why. I would only consider original formula. They say red fades here, but my original red still looks good, but has never been baked in the desert. Probably was garaged also before I bought it. I also use car covers, but I hate them as I want to see my cars.

Back