Something failed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean jeff, I had to explain to my physical therapy doctor why my progress went down the comode after helping my buddy lift his Honda vt1100 shadow up on blocks 3 weeks after getting run over by a Buick.

Oh, don't feel bad for me. When I bought this car I assumed I'd need to rebuild the engine.

I upgraded heads, cam, added headers, increased the carb size, changed the ignition system, basically pumped up the horsepower by 50% or more. The compression numbers weren't great to start off with and I picked up a spare block several years ago, just for this eventuality.

I need to be running forged pistons, ARP rod bolts and modify the oiling system-

This day was coming. I knew it. So far I think the heads are going to be fine, the valve train looks good so far. The cam may even be fine, though I'm unsure if it will be going into the next build.

If you want to feel bad for me, I pulled the engine with my right knee so f'ed up, that I couldn't get up from a seated position unless ALL my weight was on my left leg. Of course, today, it is doing fine. Sure makes it hard to explain to the doctor, so . . . I will not bother to try.
Hey my knee if F'ed up EVERYDAY

I have a bunch of pieces if you need something you did not stock pile

Don

Well I have the post mortem

Roller rocker on cylinder 6 Intake failed and the roller tip came out, the "ears" left by it's being missing pressed on either side of the intake valve tip pushing the locks loose. The intake valve dropped, blew through the top of the piston, got carried down into the pan and slung up into the bore of #3 finally seizing the engine.

block is trash. 1 Cylinder head is destroyed, roller rocker arms are now trash, I didn't even bother pulling the pan.

And if my phone would send the pictures, I'd post them :(

That short block with those heads would be over 12:1 compression
I know! lol I was trying to guesstimate what it would cost to complete and I think it would take another 3 or 4 thousand in parts and my transmission would not survive that level of power.

I have a lead on a stash of Cleveland parts that includes a complete Pantera engine with the original Kar Kraft tags on it, sounded a little unlikely, but I am going to go look. sounds like he has all sorts of parts.

I think if that doesn't pan out, I am going to strip my spare block, have the better of the two cranks turned, buy a set of 6" rods and some forged pistons with pop up profiles, strip the heads and use the parts to build my old OC heads-will just need a single valve that way. Will change out all valve springs and essentially a higher compression OC head engine than my old dished piston CC head combo. I hate to spend money on iron heads again so I am still considering aluminum too.

Finally I will figure a way to get the pictures posted. They are something. I'll bet someone goes and pulls their valve covers and inspects their rocker arms after you actually see what happened.

Bummer sorry to hear of your misfortune.... But if your going to spend the coin GO THE BIG BLOCK, these cars where designed with the 385 series motor in mind, A Nice mild built 460 will be very reliable and crank 400+hp and 500ftlb of torque, some good reading here, http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

I'd love a big block with power steering and an automatic transmission-that being said, I want neither a automatic transmission, nor power steering.

Crane.

Here are the pictures As you can see the roller has come out of the tip of this rocker arm

2wgt5rq.jpg

Which released the valve keepers as cleanly as any tool

2usztyp.jpg

Dropping the valve through the piston

bx313.jpg

If you zoom in on this next picture you can see the valve head coming up through the side of the piston

992o1h.jpg

I am now thinking this MIGHT be salvageable- going to talk to a machinist in the AM

2vxmxkl.jpg

Man that sucks. Looks really familiar to my engine a few months ago. Make sure those are not the stock valves. If they are change all them out. Thats the reason my motor came apart. I didnt even have a piston left and the block had a softball size hole in the side. Your rocker may not have been to blame, it may have been that the valve broke first and took everything else out with it. Atleast that was the case with my motor. My 408 AFD aluminum headed stroker should be done by the end of the week. With 550+hp i dont ever remember my old motor :D Dont worry it will be better. And dont forget to replace the valves if they are stock!!!

Back