Sometimes bad things just happen to good people

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
Many of you have offered to help this family in their time of need. I think it's commendable that in these tough times we are still willing to help those who for whatever reason, sure could use it.

I created a paypal account for Jerry and his family without his knowledge. (I'm going to call him this morning and make him aware since I'm sure paypal will e-mail him) it's:

His paypal e-mail is : [email protected]

I'm sure anything we can do will be greatly appreciated on their part. Here is the corespondence between him and I concerning his 72 Sprint he's selling and I bought. I think you'll see why I did this and think it's great that so many fellow Mustang owners wanted to help. Hell could be us one day!

So if you wish to donate. Log on to your Paypal account and send your donation to Jerry's account using his e-mail. Thanks in advance!

Here is the corespondance between Jerry and I the last few days. I think it pretty much says it all! Naturally it's backwards reading Our e-mails, up until this morning

Here is Jerry's response this morning on learning about what I've done!

Ok Mark the PayPal account is all set up now, well will be once I confirm there deposit and withdrawal from my account. They make a $1.00 deposit then they take it right back out after a day or two. And no you didn't step over the line. I appreciate everything you are trying to do for me. Thank you.

Jerry

----- Original Message -----

To: Gerald

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:13 AM

Subject: Hope I didn't step over the line.

Jerry,

Take a look at 7173mustangs.com. A lot of the folks on the sight (including the creator of the sight) would like to help. I took the liberty of creating a paypal account for your family. the username is your E-mail and give me a call for the password since I don't think that's a good thing to put out on the web. Barry is going link this with other sights including his facebook sight. Could be much ado about nothing but seems to me every little bit will help. Your good peolpe!

Mark

You drive! We'll go to Hooters for wings!

Mark

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: Mark Miller

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:01 PM

Subject: Re: 1972 Mustang Sprint

Your son's name is Jason? Well that's it and why we connect so well. My youngest son's name is Jason too. I wanted to give the Mustang to him but he has a 93 5.0L hot rod already. He is not into the work this Mustang needs like you and your son are. And that is another reason why I decided to let it go. Before you asked me why I am selling it so cheap and I told you I don't know. Well I do know why. First off we are probably going to loosing our home soon and I won't have anywhere to work on it nor have the money to do that work. I will probably have to rent or live in a trailer. Since my wife isn't working and I can't work anymore because to this prostate cancer I decided to find someone like you that will do the job right and I know you will. And that is why I put the price as I did. I know it is worth a lot more than that. I just hope that after you finish it you will let me drive it. Deal????

Jerry

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:10 PM

My freinds on the mustang site I frequent are very vocal about how excited they are that another Sprint is getting back on the road. The offers for information and parts lookouts have been overwhelming. Guess the expectation bar has been set pretty high on this one but I think Jasonand I are up to it.

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:59 PM

Mark great job. I hope that my Mustang don't need quit as much repair as your 73. But I guess you won't find that out until you dive into it. Guess what? You've been over bid on the Mustang twice today but I turned them down. They both doubled the price. I don't want anyone but you to have it because I know you will do a great job on it. Great pics. I will see you Sept 1.

Jerry

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:28 PM

pics as of today

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:56 PM

Ok Mark, here is the name and address of the Mustang junk yard, which is actually his back yard. You have to drive by his house to get back to the cars.

His name is John O'Daniel, 2025 Oak Level Rd., Benton, Ky, 42025. Phone 270-527-7631

Jerry

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:06 PM

If you don't mind, I'll rotate the motor myself. Not implying you don't know what your doing but broken rings are broken rings and if they should break. Let me be the one that does it.

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:29 PM

Well you aught to be able to drive it after you drop the oil pan and see if the rod connecting cap is loose and retighten it. I put oil in the cylinders a few years ago and will do it again and turn it over. I know the gas will have to be removed from the tank and fresh gas put in. You will need to use a temp floor board of some kind. So you should be able to drive the car. Oh! you will have to work on the brakes too. They have not been used in a long time. Anyway I will see if I can get the engine to rotate.

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:52 PM

Way too cool. Not enough children caring for their folks these days. I'm blessed in that I know my 2 will take as good of care of me as they can when that time comes.

Only reason I ask is that NC will hold the title until I do a DMV Inspection because it's out of state car over 35 years old. So I'll have to get it repaired enough to inspect and then do the title. They'll give me a 90 day registration when I do the title work, so that's plenty of time to get it ready. But they would hold the title in Raleigh for 3-4 years or however long it takes me to do the regular restoration.

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:42 PM

Yes, the title is in my name. I did have it titled in Ky when I moved there in 84. It went from Ohio to Ky and back to Ohio in 90. So when I moved here to the Charlotte area to be rehired at General Tire in 93 as an electrician I decided not to title it in NC because I wasn't able to drive it. July 21, 1990 my mothers birth day is when my father had his stroke while we were visiting on vacation from GT Ky and at this time we decided to go move back home to help him with his recovery. He died 5 years later. I worked for General Tire from 1984 to 1990 and was a maintenance supervisor/planner there until dad had his stroke. Dad was a genealogist and had a lot of family history that he and mom had acquired since the 1950's to 1990. I knew no one else would take it over since he couldn't do it anymore, and I decided to put it into a computer program. The stroke parallized his entire right side of his body. I worked all the time and just keep putting off what was needed to be done on the Mustang. As far as the genealogy goes I uploaded it to Ancestry.com in 2008 so that there would be a record of it forever, but worked on it loading it into a computer program from 1990 until today and still working on it. I guess that I neglected the Mustang to do the work on genealogy too. So long hours at work and genealogy took up all my time.

Jerry

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:32 AM

In your name in Ohio?

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:28 AM

Ok great, I couldn't see licening it if I wasn't able to drive it so I still have it titled in Ohio.

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:25 AM

Here is the right websight

https://www.uhaul.com/orders/orderdetail.aspx?id=129d2727-5df0-4354-8012-ea22a085ad25&resid=27009901&ln=miller&utm_source=receipt&utm_campaign=email_confirmation&utm_medium=master-order-number

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:02 AM

Gerry,

I used this place. Is that the closest and do you have a come along to load with?

https://www.uhaul.com/Orders/OrderDetail.aspx

Mark

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:22 AM

Here is a web site showing the ones nearest to where I live.
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Monroe-NC-28110/Results

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:03 AM

Do you have a u-haul nearby that would rent a car dolley or trailer?

Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 5:50 PM

Ok Mark here are a few more photos for you, these extra doors are off of a 1971 Mach 1. You will have to remove the Identification label and put the new one on that I made up. I made up one for the door, passenger side of firewall and the tire spec label on the body of the passengers door. All three are made up on stickers. I am really not sure if you can order them but this way you won't have to. Anyway here are these extra photos. I went ahead and took some photos of the wire welder too.

Jerry

Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:41 PM

Thanks for the pictures and you are to be commended for your honesty. Lost thing these days. Are there any holes your aware of in the shock towers? Like I said I think I can do something with it and if the welder is one that uses the gas bottle, I'll probably take that as well. Be sure to let me know.

Mark

Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:16 PM

Subject: 1972 Mustang Sprint

Hi Mark,

Here are some of the pictures you had asked for and here is a bit about the car as we talked on the phone: The car came with steel wheels and hub caps and hub cap rings that weren't mounted on the car. Although it did have very large tires on the back and black and polished aluminum wheels, front and back. Which I sold. The car had a knock in the engine and I bought the car as a replacement for my wifes 71 Mustang for the body, and my wifes Mustang had a very good running 302 in it. Well needless to say I didn't use the 302 after taking the 351CJ apart and finding out that it had very large intake vales and real wide ports in the intake manifold and heads. I called Ford engineering in Detroit and talked with one of the engineers about the engine. He told me that I have a very rare 351CJ Cleveland engine which they only made 13,800 of. I knew the engine was special but didn't find out about the rarety of the Sprint with the 351CJ engine until I registered it with the California Mustang Registry in 1993. They only made 90 of these Sprint cars with the 351CJ engine. After I tore the engine down in 1980 I discovered that the head was cracked and the connecting rod on # 8 cylinder was loose. That was the tapping sound. I took the heads to my cousin who in turn took it to Summit Auto Racing Co. and had the heads welded up and reground plus they put brass valve guides in the heads so that I could use unleaded gas instead of leaded gas. I bought a new M4 forged steel crank and a new K high rise cam, pistons and connecting rods and bearings and rings, everything inside the engine was new. My cousin who managed Wyans Auto Parts store told me to buy the Anti-Pump Lifters with adjustable push rods because I would be able to tach the engine to higher RPM's and man did it do just that. It was probably one of the fastes cars on the road in Akron at the time. I was affraid to go over 8,000 RPM and it had no trouble doing that. My cousin had a Pontiac GTO 383 - 375 hp that couldn't keep up with me and his was a standard four on the floor shift. This car was only suppose to have a 266 hp output but in reality it had to have been more. The Ford engineering said that they had to rate the engine that way although it had put out more than was registered.

The car was originally white with blue and red trim with the USA shield on each of the quarter panels. Red, white and blue interior, which was in bad shape so I used my wifes 71 Mustang interior because it was much better. I didn't even know anything about it being a Sprint or even what a Sprint was. Because before that I was a Chevy Guy. When I talked with the Ford engineer we only talked about the engine. I at that time was working with a guy that did body work for BMW and I figured that he knew what he was doing so I had him restore the body but changed the color from white to red with black strips like the Boss Mustangs had. I put headers on the engine with a 4" side kock out for drag racing. Man what a sound with those headers open. I mounted the side mufflers and did away with the original exaust.

The car will have to have the entire floor and trunk flooring changed out. I bought a Lincoln wire welder so as to do just that, which I never used and will sell for $200.00. I was stupid and let the car set outside thinking that one day I was going to restore it anyway. Well it got into a very bad condition but is still repairable. And will be a great project for some one who has the money to restore it to its original state. I registered the car with the Mustang Registry of California in 1993 and at that time it was only one of four Sprint Mustangs with the 351CJ engine and C6 transmission still running. That was almost twenty years ago. I stopped driving the Mustang because it started to knock again and I didn't want to through a rod so I shut it down and didn't try starting it since. The engine will need to be disassembled and checked over. I was going to do that but could never find the time. When I got the car it had almost 100K miles on it and it has only 30K on the Odometer now. So the engine only has 30K on it. The car has what they called the "B" package, which means that the tach was mounted in the consol. Anyway thats the story of it and you are welcome to come and look at it. The person who gets this car and restores it to its original condition will have to put some money in it but in the end will be worth possibly 6 figures. The engine alone is work $5K. The attachment of photos are of the car, interior and door label and vin number and odometer. Just in case you would like to check it out.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
So give some directions to how that works. I for one have no clue.
Sorry Roy!

For those who wish to donate. Go to your paypal sight and donate whatever you would like to Jerry's account using his e-mail. I'll update the post.

Never said I was good at this!

Link posted to facebook page!

Link posted to facebook page!
Thanks for your help Barry. I donated money I got from a recent sale of parts I had. Seemed fitting for a fellow Mustanger! :p

I just made my contribution! Looks like the transaction worked out fine on PayPal.
Your good people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone post the link here? And keep this post bumped. I don't get on here as often as I should and almost marked everything read until I saw Steve's bump. I'll donate as soon as I figure out the link.

Could someone post the link here? And keep this post bumped. I don't get on here as often as I should and almost marked everything read until I saw Steve's bump. I'll donate as soon as I figure out the link.
I'll go back in and take the bold off his e-mail address. Just log into your paypal account and send your donation to:

[email protected]

Thanks

Back