Soooo... Do I need to replace the B pillar?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Okay, I am working on body panel replacement.  The passenger side rear quarter panel had some damage.  I knew there was a thick layer of body filler, and got the rear quarter panel to install.  I cut out the old panel, cut out the spot welds, and fit the new quarter into place.  It matches up the door profile and gaps reasonably well, but when the door is opened, OMG!!  It isn't even close to the B pillar.  Here are some pics, so you can see what I am dealing with.  Soo....   what do you think?  Do I need to replace the passenger side B pillar.  Thanks in advance.  

20201230_161220.jpg

20210102_132924.jpg

20210102_132950.jpg

20210102_132938.jpg

20210102_133156.jpg

Not sure what is going on with yours.  Here is a shot of my passengers side.

The shot you show of the inner alignment with the rear wheel well looks good from your shots.  I am unsure why you have such severe misalignment with your door.  Pat yourself on the back for checking all that out before welding.

kcmash

image.jpg

Ok, I take that back.  Looks like the top of your B pillar had something really bend the crap out of it.  There should be a pretty even gap for the rear 1/4 window between the B and C pillars.  Yours looks to have been pried open near the B pillar , causing the internal structure to drift away from the door toward the interior.

On the outside, things look very poorly aligned.

Repair or replace.  You should have a good pattern on the drivers side to measure gaps and offsets.  Are you more skilled at straightening metal or aligning and welding?  That is a structural piece, so don’t mess the welds up there.  It does not look like you have a rust problem with your B-pillar, so I would try to straighten it if you can.

kcmash

Thanks, kcmash.  I'm learning as I go, but feel confident in my welding.  I've straightened a few things, in the past, and started hammering and pulling on the B pillar in an attempt to get it back into position.  It is getting a lot closer, but the tab on the bottom edge that is spot welded to the rocker behind the quarter panel broke off.  It was compromised by some rust along a small part of that bottom edge.  I can weld in a patch that will restore that part of the structure.  The rest of the B pillar attachment is solid and appears to be rust free.  So, I will try to straighten it, using the driver side for reference, and with a little luck, get it back into position.  If that is unsuccessful, though, I will have replacement as plan B.    

Please forgive my crude drawings on the following pics,  but I marked the issues I noticed in your pics. You might be able to straighten the B pillar and save it. I would try that first. It will only cost  you time.20210102_132938.thumb.jpg.973b4bd95b62b155ed233b0aa073e342_LI (2).jpg

Good luck! I have been following your build you are doing amazing work and I have learn so much from you!! Thank you for sharing!

20210102_133156.thumb.jpg.1b409bc4e7535ab9c7d5539101fdb564_LI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent some quality time with the BFH and piece of wood, as well as hammer and dolly and got it to about a 1/2-3/4" out.  As I worked the dings out, a chunk of paint fell out leaving a 1/4" rust hole showing.  I didn't think that was a good sign, so I got out the wire wheel and cleaned all the paint and crud off, and discovered several rust holes ranging from about 1/16" to up to 1/4".  Along the bottom, I found filler hiding more rust eroding the base of the B pillar.  I can drill out and weld the rust holes and make patches to repair the bottom, but that won't address the fact that it is out of position.  I am thinking it may be better, at this point, to replace the B pillar instead of trying to repair this beaten up one.  I've attached some more pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.  

20210103_132118.jpg

20210103_132112.jpg

20210103_132056.jpg

20210103_132107.jpg

I guess I will give Don at OMS a call tomorrow morning and begin my search for a new B pillar.  Hopefully, a good, affordable replacement will be available and I can get this show back on the road.

Back