Sound off if you have a convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my Ford Mustang convertible last week:

1973 Q-CODE , C6, bright Red, white interior, white top, decor group, NASA hood, TuTone hood paint ( hood is just red but will be restored ).

The car has lot's of options ( check my deluxe Marti report which I have posted as well).

My plan is to completely restore it. Not sure yet if it will remain bright red with a white interior...

71 XR7, power windows, brakes, steering, 351 auto, ac

Currently fuel injected 5.0 with aod and 3.50 9inch

I did grab a pic before I stuffed it in the garage. Like I said it is rough but underside and typical rust areas are surprisingly good for the price paid.

73vert.jpg

72 Convertible...351C 4v Holley, Headers, FMX Auto, Ram Air,

17" wheels, Grabber Blue, Gunmetal Gray hood/trunk stripes &

rocker trim, Black interior

smallsize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 71 Convertible I am rebuilding. Maybe someone on this sight can explain something to me. There were 34K Mach 1 built in 1971 and only 6K convertibles. So  how is it that the Mach 1 sells for more??? Always thought Convertibles sell for more than Fastbacks and the less made the greater the value. This makes no sense to me? Can anyone help?????

I have a 71 Convertible I am rebuilding. Maybe someone on this sight can explain something to me. There were 34K Mach 1 built in 1971 and only 6K convertibles. So  how is it that the Mach 1 sells for more??? Always thought Convertibles sell for more than Fastbacks and the less made the greater the value. This makes no sense to me? Can anyone help?????

How rare a car is doens't determine value.  There are only a handful of Pinto's left but they don't sell for much..

People identify the 71 to 73 model as 'The mach 1'.    Many people prefer the looks of the Mach 1 sports roof over the convertible as well. It's rather iconic and has a certain 'muscle car' look to it.   And in some places a convertible just isn't practical.    So supply and demand is at work.  While the supply of the Mach 1's may be higher so is the demand and therefore a higher price can be asked.

I had a Mach 1 but it was wrecked.  I live in Arizona so a convertible is a great car to own here.   I love my 73 and have owned it for over 30 years but there are still times I kinda wish I had the Mach 1.

@ convertible selling for more-'they do' but you take a 71 mustang w/429 or 71 stang Boss 351 compared to a 71 vert w/stock 302 non Boss, and at the top value as a #1(not on the road w/low miles and only trailered from car show to...events) will go as high blue book at @ 78,000 then the Boss 351 knock off @ 20,000, the 302 for the convertibles only a few thousand more than the hard tops and this year the highest of the 71-3's be under 25,000.

multiple photo upload

How rare a car is doens't determine value.  There are only a handful of Pinto's left but they don't sell for much..

People identify the 71 to 73 model as 'The mach 1'.    Many people prefer the looks of the Mach 1 sports roof over the convertible as well. It's rather iconic and has a certain 'muscle car' look to it.   And in some places a convertible just isn't practical.    So supply and demand is at work.  While the supply of the Mach 1's may be higher so is the demand and therefore a higher price can be asked.

I had a Mach 1 but it was wrecked.  I live in Arizona so a convertible is a great car to own here.   I love my 73 and have owned it for over 30 years but there are still times I kinda wish I had the Mach 1.

Have two 73s...one heavily optioned H-code and one F-code and a Daily Driver 2014 GT. Going to be selling the Gold 73 soon to fund another project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a member a long time and finally read through this thread from Don and have enjoyed seeing all these fine cars. To cjevans, very impressed with your restoration of the copper car and love your gold glow 73 too  (I'm embarrassed to post pics of my cars after seeing the copper car)! :shootself:   Where did you get the hose for the carbon canister? I will be selling three of my cars in the next month to fund other projects and will post pics of those cars soon. Later I plan to post some pics of some of my other "keeper" cars when I can get them out of the garage and wipe off the dust!

New Forum member and new owner of a ‘72 351-4V. Looking forward to bringing it up to the standards of many of the cars on the forum.
6294775341c25ca22e213d85b1cca886.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi to all,

Gee, i don't know how i missed this topic.  Must be old age or something. :p

In any case allow me to present   'GOLDIE'   in her current form.

I thought a video would hit the spot here.

BTW - Some really nice Forum member's Verts in this section - great eye candy for sure.

Many thanks,

Greg. :)

I'm new to this forum. Referred by Boss302 forum. I have a 71 convertible i would call a restomod. Previous M code, now a 429, auto, white leather interior, 4 wheel disc brakes, March pulleys, 9 inch N-case, etc. Color does not even have a name. Its Martin Senour 59346. Kind of a reddish pink. Wife loves it. 1F03M112927 very near Albuquerque, NM.     Ed

P1012392.JPG

The hood scoop is functional. It is just a Boss429 copy. When I got this car it was a rusty bucket of junk. My introduction to body panel replacement but it was very complete. I have done everything except the painting myself. Stripped it down to nothing, soda blast, and then the reconstruction began. About 19 months and alot of late nights. Ed

Back