Speaker Fitment in rear package tray on 73 coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmike98

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 302 Coupe
Hi all, I am new here and am glad I found a community dedicated for what seems the forgotten 1st gen mustangs.

I have a 1973 mustang coupe, and I want to upgrade the stereo in it. I have figured that I will put 4x6 in the door as it came with the factory with the door speakers. However what I am at my witts end at is will 6x9's fit in a coupes rear package tray? It looks like it would just barely fit, but not sure if it feasible. Will it fit and for anybody who installed them, how did you get them to fit? Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
Where are your from?
As for speakers in the rear package tray, it depends on what you want. If you want to blow your ears out with music, then bigger the better, but personally, I like the sound of my engine more, so I installed 4" round speakers UNDER the package tray so they are NOT seen in the car. My car is a 71 Mach 1, so the fitment may be different, but I made up a new panel out of 1/8th " masonite, mounted the speakers on wood supports, then covered the entire tray with a carpet like material I found at my auto parts store. The sound is adequate for my needs withan original AM/FM radio.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
Where are your from?
As for speakers in the rear package tray, it depends on what you want. If you want to blow your ears out with music, then bigger the better, but personally, I like the sound of my engine more, so I installed 4" round speakers UNDER the package tray so they are NOT seen in the car. My car is a 71 Mach 1, so the fitment may be different, but I made up a new panel out of 1/8th " masonite, mounted the speakers on wood supports, then covered the entire tray with a carpet like material I found at my auto parts store. The sound is adequate for my needs withan original AM/FM radio.
Hi there I’m from New Jersey.

For speakers I definitely want something that’ll sound good but not something that’ll rattle the whole neighborhood and I’m no autophile, just somebody who really enjoys music, so stereo is important to me. I would definitely use a new package tray because it still has the original non damaged package tray, but I seemed stumped on what speakers will fit. A lot of answers I found on here are from fastback owners, which grants a lot more space on the package tray than coupes :(

This is my high school car. Graduated 86. Four 12” subs, two 6” mid bass and mids and tweets on the panel under the glass For a fastback.

Attachments

• D75C303C-5CF5-4BD8-8C62-F91F53F3BF1B.jpeg
    D75C303C-5CF5-4BD8-8C62-F91F53F3BF1B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Hi there I’m from New Jersey.

For speakers I definitely want something that’ll sound good but not something that’ll rattle the whole neighborhood and I’m no autophile, just somebody who really enjoys music, so stereo is important to me. I would definitely use a new package tray because it still has the original non damaged package tray, but I seemed stumped on what speakers will fit. A lot of answers I found on here are from fastback owners, which grants a lot more space on the package tray than coupes :(
Take some ideas and play around with what might fit your car. Think out of the box so to speak. You may have no choice but to mount on top of a new tray. Definitely keep your original tray if still good.
Thanks for you location and welcome once again.

I built a false bottom in the package tray area. Just enough to fit my amp and an enclosure I custom made to complement a subwoofer.
Everything is invisible under the "false floor". I never had a top cover for that area as you have pictured.

Back