Speedo cable. auto/manual the same??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
I want to buy a new speedometer cable for my 71 302 C4 auto trans convertible. I can only find manual transmission speedometer cables. Are they the same for both? If not does anybody have a good link to a C4 speedometer cable?

Hello Ribbs,
That's a little surprising considering the majority of '71-73s were AT equipped. Except for the '72-73 NOX equipped (AKA "California Emissions") with the two-piece cable and the Drag Pack C6s, all C4, FMX, and C6 applications used the same cable. That cable is D1ZZ-17260-G (61 1/2") and was replaced in '75 by D4FZ-17260-A (67"). The cable listed for the '71-72 3sp manual is 53 13/16"
Don @ OMS (Ohio Mustang Supply) has a listing for a repo cable that is 1 1/2" longer than the original D1ZZ-G cable. Don is a forum member, Vendor, site supporter and knows these cars all well as anyone. Check the site or give 'em a call!
https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2744

I wonder what one ended up in my car. I've got a C4 transmission. The speedometer cable is stupid short. I have to really work at it connecting and disconnecting the thing in the back of my cluster. There is about zero slack in the cable to pull the cluster out while its still connected.

I wonder what one ended up in my car. I've got a C4 transmission. The speedometer cable is stupid short. I have to really work at it connecting and disconnecting the thing in the back of my cluster. There is about zero slack in the cable to pull the cluster out while its still connected.
Mine is too, and a tab is broken, and it’s old and stiff. It’s a horrible 30 minutes of pain and contortions to unclip mine. The dash is out, so if I can replace it with one and inch and a half longer and with good release clips it’s worth the $!

When I replaced my cluster, my speedo cable seemed short as well. I disconnected it from the transmission end and had plenty of slack. Once it was connected to the cluster, I went back to the trans end and reconnected it. Worked out well. Good luck.

Tom

Thumbs up to Don @ohiomustang. The got me a new cable, shipped quick and we’ll packaged!

Back