Speedometer gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Last edited by a moderator:
jpaz, your link doesn't show a gear. But if you have determined that a 21 tooth purple gear is the correct one, they are still available from your Ford dealer. The part you are looking for is DOOZ-17271-B and I believe sells in the $6-$7 range. I don't remember if the part houses sell those gears, but would certainly be worth a phone call if you don't want to go to your dealer.

Hey Secluf, thanks didn't even think about trying the dealer. Got a few pretty close so will give them a try.

I redid the ebay link, should be viewable now.

It depends on the number of teeth on the drive gear. My memory fails me but, I think it is 7, please confirm. Once you know that, refer to the following link to calculate the number and twist (R or L) of the driven gear. Chuck

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Mustang-65-73-2017/?utm_source=flipbooks&utm_medium=internal_link&utm_campaign=Mustang_1965_1973#p=198
with 3.50 or under numerically, should be 7 on the toploader.

235/60r15 =26.10'' = 772 revs per mile, I come up with 18.91

Just did this last night, same toploader 3.70 &255/60r 15=27.10''= 772 revs/mi.= 19.9948 teeth

WHAT a difference!

Thank's Chuck, I just actually checked NPD out too. 4 bucks for the gear & 9 for shipping. I live about 30 miles from them. Can't believe they want that much for the shipping.

Thanks again, now I at least know that's the correct part.

It depends on the number of teeth on the drive gear. My memory fails me but, I think it is 7, please confirm. Once you know that, refer to the following link to calculate the number and twist (R or L) of the driven gear. Chuck

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Mustang-65-73-2017/?utm_source=flipbooks&utm_medium=internal_link&utm_campaign=Mustang_1965_1973#p=198
From everything I researched, a c6 has 8 on the drive gear. My cable goes in on the drivers side, so the driven should be a RH twist, type 3.

Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm just figuring this all out, thanks!

I show 7-tooth drive gears for cars that were originally equipped with automatics and 2.75 to 3.50 rear ends, and the drive gear is right hand rotation.

Ok thanks Don, I wasn't sure about that either. It got very confusing looking up this little part, and I'm still learning about these cars. You guys are great & I really appreciate everyone's help! :)

So, which gear did you go with and did it work? Getting ready to do the same to mine and your input would be very helpful.

Back