Speedsters, Mustang/Rancheros, and Hide-away-headlights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Hey guys. Just playing on the drawing board and was wondering what our Mustangs would look like with hide-away-headlights in the same vein as the '69 Camaro. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch especially if you follow the '70 Mustang styling cues with the twin louvers outboard of the headlights and create sliding headlight covers with two slots. Since this modification may be best suited to a custom Stang how about a Speedster!

oob.JPG

One in color.

0005.JPG

Oh and to answer the question in a previous thread about a Mustang Ranchero and what it would look like?

04b.JPG

And another one with the full Country Squire treatment.

ooo2.JPG

Not as ungainly as one might think.

But I go back to the hide-way- headlight idea. I honestly think this one could be pulled off and look absolutely like factory option. Modify the headlight buckets to push them deeper into the grille cavity and build the headlamp doors to work with a suitable motor drive.

Sir,

You're drawing skills are impressive. Too bad Ford didn't have you working back in the late 60's, when our cars were being designed.

BTW I really like the squire above.

Ray

Absolutely amazing!

I threw the Ranchero idea in the ring in the other thread and I love the yellow one. Now, who can build me one?

The hidden headlights are kinda cool. I have a pic somewhere of a 71-73 mustang with a 68 Charger grille. Need to find it on my computer.

That first Aussie Landau front end really looks like a 70-72 LTD. The direction of the hide-aways I'm going for is to use the existing grille hoop, set the lights farther back in relation to the grill and fashion headlight covers with translucent twin slots much like a '69 RS Camaro (oops there's that C word again) that allow the lamp to shine through in case the door will not open.

I posted this one in a thread quite a while ago based on a '68 Camaro grille (ignore the headlight reflections in the bumper :dodgy: )

It doesn't quite look right but I reckon the '69 Camaro grille concept in your drawings would look more natural on our cars.

92ytF.jpg

I always like the 1968 Ford XL my sister use to own with the hide-a-way headlights. Someone else liked them too; back in the 70's she came out of her apartment to the car one morning and someone had stolen the whole grill and headlight covers!

I was kind of fixated on the '69 Camaro styled grille but have to say that 68 style looks really cool. Makes the car look a mile wide. Nice.

I posted this one in a thread quite a while ago based on a '68 Camaro grille (ignore the headlight reflections in the bumper :dodgy: )

It doesn't quite look right but I reckon the '69 Camaro grille concept in your drawings would look more natural on our cars.

92ytF.jpg
^

And as good as it looks, this demonstrates exactly why hide-away headlights do NOT belong on the '71-73s: It makes them look like a logical evolution of the first-gen Camaro:

1967_red_Chevrolet_Camaro_RS_front.JPG

Put a standard hood on the Mustang chop, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the two apart at first glance. Only the turn signal shape and the taller greenhouse on the Camaro are the giveaways.

The quad headlight setup in the top right prototype isn't bad though (and I bet Luxstang will love the hood scoop!):

WitzenburgMustang_04_1500.jpg

Funny how the bottom left concept is undoubtedly the source by which Ford restyled the '73 turn signals due to the forced relocation. Note the bumper blackout.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

92ytF.jpg
^

And as good as it looks, this demonstrates exactly why hide-away headlights do NOT belong on the '71-73s: It makes them look like a logical evolution of the first-gen Camaro:

1967_red_Chevrolet_Camaro_RS_front.JPG

Put a standard hood on the Mustang chop, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the two apart at first glance. Only the turn signal shape and the taller greenhouse on the Camaro are the giveaways.

The quad headlight setup in the top right prototype isn't bad though (and I bet Luxstang will love the hood scoop!):

WitzenburgMustang_04_1500.jpg

Funny how the bottom left concept is undoubtedly the source by which Ford restyled the '73 turn signals due to the forced relocation. Note the bumper blackout.

-Kurt
I have always thought the upper right is the way they should have looked from the factory

"Put a standard hood on the Mustang chop, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the two apart at first glance. Only the turn signal shape and the taller greenhouse on the Camaro are the giveaways."

I had a gutted out 71 convert shell pulled around front to haul to the junk yard and had several people stop and ask if I had any other Camaro parts for sale.

I like the hidden headlight idea - using Cougar parts one could build a nice looking hybrid "Coustang" or "Musgar".

I think a Fastback Cougar would look awsome.

- Paul

Wouldn´t it be a good idea for the Ranchero version to take a coupe, keep the flying buttress rear pillars and simply shorten the roof. Remove the rear seats and move the whole parts, rear pillars and all forward. That way the bed would start right behind the front seats and be framed by the rear roof pillars.

Wouldn´t it be a good idea for the Ranchero version to take a coupe, keep the flying buttress rear pillars and simply shorten the roof. Remove the rear seats and move the whole parts, rear pillars and all forward. That way the bed would start right behind the front seats and be framed by the rear roof pillars.
That would look good

I had a gutted out 71 convert shell pulled around front to haul to the junk yard and had several people stop and ask if I had any other Camaro parts for sale.
You can't blame them for making that mistake. After all, they bought a Chevy in the first place ;)

I like the hidden headlight idea - using Cougar parts one could build a nice looking hybrid "Coustang" or "Musgar".

I think a Fastback Cougar would look awsome.
Not really keen on the Bunkie-beaked Cougars, but...

2r6jqxx.jpg

You can sell me one of these any day of the week though:

10dtj52.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
The upper right is nice but too much like the 69.

The bottom left sports lamps look like our 71 only vertical.

What a difference it made just putting them horizontally.

The 73 sports lamps are nice too but they are a different style altogether which suits the vertical look.

I like it. Here's the set I've come up with. I'm currently putting hideaways on my Mach 1. Also I've designed a front valance not that far off from yours.

My project

Test fitted.
Yes, there you are!

I saw that on our FB page and sent you a friend request to keep up with this project. I like that a lot.

Please post a thread in the introduction section, so the guys can give you a proper welcome.

Back