Speedsters, Mustang/Rancheros, and Hide-away-headlights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple related pics...

The first is like the Ranchero drawing...The second is not hide-away headlights, but it has that look, with an airdam.

falcon-cobra[1].jpg

Ford_Falcon_XB_Utility.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this one in a thread quite a while ago based on a '68 Camaro grille (ignore the headlight reflections in the bumper :dodgy: )

It doesn't quite look right but I reckon the '69 Camaro grille concept in your drawings would look more natural on our cars.

92ytF.jpg
OH Yeh, you guys have me thinking now. I have an extra hideaway set up from a 70 Torino. I'm gonna start measuring at first light tomorrow....

^

And as good as it looks, this demonstrates exactly why hide-away headlights do NOT belong on the '71-73s: It makes them look like a logical evolution of the first-gen Camaro:

1967_red_Chevrolet_Camaro_RS_front.JPG

Put a standard hood on the Mustang chop, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the two apart at first glance. Only the turn signal shape and the taller greenhouse on the Camaro are the giveaways.

The quad headlight setup in the top right prototype isn't bad though (and I bet Luxstang will love the hood scoop!):

WitzenburgMustang_04_1500.jpg

Funny how the bottom left concept is undoubtedly the source by which Ford restyled the '73 turn signals due to the forced relocation. Note the bumper blackout.

-Kurt

OH Yeh, you guys have me thinking now. I have an extra hideaway set up from a 70 Torino. I'm gonna start measuring at first light tomorrow....
Wider and angled different than the Mustang, but you may be able to cut the quad lens mechanism down to a single lamp, and glue a honeycomb section onto it from a scrap grill. Worth a try!

-Kurt

I just moved the center trim out to the edges and removed the driving lights

I built hideaway headlights for mine. As well as added 69-70 Shelby front brake vents and exhaust. It’s a cool look. I used 69 Cougar headlights, 89 Ford Probe headlight actuator to power it, 69 Shelby brake vents and exhaust couple, and 73 Cougar tail lights. It gives the old girl a sick look.

I built hideaway headlights for mine. As well as added 69-70 Shelby front brake vents and exhaust. It’s a cool look. I used 69 Cougar headlights, 89 Ford Probe headlight actuator to power it, 69 Shelby brake vents and exhaust couple, and 73 Cougar tail lights. It gives the old girl a sick look.

Attachments

• E59C7E51-6FA0-40CB-A4A6-A7441CC824E6.jpeg
    E59C7E51-6FA0-40CB-A4A6-A7441CC824E6.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back