[split] Info needed with my 71 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David W

Reaction score
My Car
1965 Mustang coupe
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hi guys, Hope you don't mind me jumping onto this thread. But I am trying to get a bit of background on a 71 Sportsroof/ Mach 1 that I am restoring here in Australia . I was told by the guy I bought the car off that it is a Mach 1 but I only have the Consecutive unit number which is - 1F164603 to go by. Found this number under the front LHS & RHS fenders adjacent to the shock towers . Unfortunately I don't have the door tags on the car so it rather limits investigation. Is there any way that you can get some history on this car with just this number ?

The car has a 351 2v Cleveland in it which came from an Australian ZD Ford Fairlane ( going by its engine number ) and it has the color coded front bumper etc like the Mach 1's have.

I've looked at the Marti reports website and it appears that you need the full VIN number for a car, like 1F05M148920 to get a proper report. This particular complete number I've quoted ( 1F05M148920 ) is the one that is on the metal dash panel that I have with the car -where it appears through the bottom left hand corner of the windscreen. However, I don't really believe this is the original dash panel for the car as the number doesn't line up with the numbers under the fenders at all.

Any tips are welcome,

Thanks, Dave

Qld , Australia

Hi David, welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Please go to the introduction section of the forum and introduce yourself and your car. That would also be the appropriate place to ask your question, instead of on another member's thread.

Be forewarned, we like pictures of your car.

Hi guys, Hope you don't mind me jumping onto this thread. But I am trying to get a bit of background on a 71 Sportsroof/ Mach 1 that I am restoring here in Australia . I was told by the guy I bought the car off that it is a Mach 1 but I only have the Consecutive unit number which is  - 1F164603 to go by. Found this number under the front LHS & RHS fenders adjacent to the shock towers .  Unfortunately I don't have the door tags on the car so it rather limits investigation. Is there any way that you can get some history on this car with just this number ?

The car has a 351 2v Cleveland in it which came from an Australian ZD Ford Fairlane ( going by its engine number )  and it has the color coded front bumper etc like the Mach 1's have.

I've looked at the Marti reports website and it appears that you need the full VIN number for a car,  like 1F05M148920 to get a proper report. This particular complete number I've quoted ( 1F05M148920 ) is the one that is on the metal dash panel that I have with the car -where it appears through the  bottom left hand corner of the windscreen. However, I don't really believe this is the original dash panel for the car as the number doesn't line up with the numbers under the fenders at all.

Any tips are welcome,

Thanks, Dave

Qld , Australia
Hello and welcome from Ohio...

The numbers under the fenders on the shock towers would be the ones that should be correct [ 1F164603 ] 

It would be harder to change them VS. the dash tag plate

Any chance the front clip has been replaced ?

Does the car have staggard shocks and a rear sway bar as an M code car would have came with these items.

Does it have a clock in the dash next to the speedometer  - came on Mach 1's with gauge package in 71

Signs of factory dual exhaust hangers in the rear frame rails

Large factory ties downs ?

Like Don says some things to look for on the options. Also Marti can probably find the info from the numbers you have. 

Here in U.S. they would run both of the numbers you have the dash and fender numbers and check to see if stolen. Could be what is up.

I have been told that VIN is also stamped on the rocker boxes but I have never seen that.

Your engine should have partial VIN stamped on the rear of the block just blow the head on the Left Hand side. Also the transmission should have a tag with number and also if 4 speed stamped on top near where it mates to the bell housing. An automatic will be on top of the tail shaft. 

There should also be a BUCK tag on the radiator support. I think in 71 some were on the R.H. side on front side of radiator support. 72 & 73 are usually on the L.H. side behind the headlight bucket see attached pic. That should have the whole VIN#

Do the intro also. 

Cheers

image hosting websites

Back