Sport wheel cover restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Womack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
302 V8
future Grabber Lime
My 71 has the sport wheel covers -- and they could look better. Has anyone tried replacing the chrome ring? The center looks fine and I am certain that it can restored/repainted but the ring needs to be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chrome outer ring is usually the worst part of these wheel covers. I have bought several sets and individual covers over the years to get one set with no curb rash or dents in the outer ring. The nice thing in that the outer ring in stainless. If you can find some with minimal scratches a good stainless repair person can sand and polish them out. I had the best 4 of the 10 - 12 outer rings refinished and they came out great. Now to refinish the centers.

The chrome outer ring is usually the worst part of these wheel covers. I have bought several sets and individual covers over the years to get one set with no curb rash or dents in the outer ring. The nice thing in that the outer ring in stainless. If you can find some with minimal scratches a good stainless repair person can sand and polish them out. I had the best 4 of the 10 - 12 outer rings refinished and they came out great. Now to refinish the centers.
Thanks for the response.

Back