Spray Bomb Travesty...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop

This how to set back a perfectly good,  near original undercarriage.. Amateur’s. Kerp in mind this was done to solely hide a light coating of surface rust during the selling process of the car. I would have preferred the surface rust...

As I slowly work to remove the “damage”, the original undercarriage start’s to once again slowly reappear. To do this properly will require me to take the complete undercarriage apart. A job for the long winter...For now, I will just touch the surface, so to speak.

In the first and 2nd picture‘s, they completely spray bombed 1/2 the exhaust in silver pain (just the lower exposed portion). This is an original exhaust except for the mufflers. The driveshaft was also half painted in the same fashion but with black paint, partially covering the original paint daub’s.

The third picture speaks for itself, a perfectly nice red oxide third member spray bombed in black paint.

The fourth pic gives a good overview of the amount of spray bomb applied everywhere underneath, hiding so much originality... The car is absolutely rust free, save for normal surface oxidation. It appear’s this is what they were trying to hide.

The last pic shows the original gas tank that thankfully, was not Spray bombed. I also used a paint remover to uncover the rear spring paint daub info.

Of course, one might ask who would do such a faux pau to the originality? In this case, the selling classic car dealer I purchased the car from, sight unseen. 

Chance’s one take’s when buying over the internet. The car was partially repainted once the the early 2000’s. 

It is a time capsule, but, a challenge today to return it back to its near original state without completing a full restoration... With the one respray, the spray bomb application, they actually hurt the originality of this otherwise pristine example of a 45K mi ‘73 Hardtop QCode 4-spd with A/C ( working with the original R-12 still in place) Mustang.

Thought some here might be interested in this....

I provide this solely for information purposes, not looking to get into debates. I only purchase near original car’s, I enjoy the mystery and challenge to returning them to as close to original as possible. 

Be happy to discuss my current predicament concerning this car with other like minded people here...

upload images

Honestly you would think a “classic car dealer” would have more common sense that that. Good luck with getting it back to how it should be. I still really like that car regardless.

It really is a shame to think that this car lived its entire life in a natural state, only showing a little surface rust on the underside. Then the dealer goes and screws up that natural state with spray cans. I really don't understand the logic of painting the visible part of the drive shaft. it's not going to end up on the side painted black each time the car comes to a rest. lol And that third member is a travesty. Obviously these guys don't know classic Fords because that red oxide paint on the third member is one of the coolest things on the underside. Well the important part is that you were able to purchase the car you were looking for. The internet has really opened things up in that regard. I remember when we still had to locate cars from ads in the newspaper, for sale signs on cars sitting by the road, perhaps a musclecar that showed up on a regular car dealer's used lot, or word of mouth. What's done is done, and hopefully you send an e-mail to the classic car dealer, describing what you found underneath.

If you're lucky and it really was spray can paint, it should come off easily enough with some lacquer thinner and elbow grease.

If you're lucky and it really was spray can paint, it should come off easily enough with some lacquer thinner and elbow grease.
 The exhaust was definitely spray bomb. The black is thicker... Going to work slowly with an aircraft type paint remover on this. Definitely elbow grease...

Honestly you would think a “classic car dealer” would have more common sense that that. Good luck with getting it back to how it should be. I still really like that car regardless.
I could see some of it on the sales video. The guy talked as if a rusty drive shaft was bad so they spruced it up LOL. Obviously, without seeing the car in person we hope for the best. Overall, the car is what I expected, just sickening to see how some in the car business are that clueless today...

So that was the dealer with the goofy name. What a bunch of idiots! Too bad they didn’t realize how original and nice that car really is. But you see the same thing at some of the big name classic car dealers too. I guess they think alike, try to make it look pretty and make a buck.

I’m sure you will get it back to how it was. Hope it’s not to much work and it comes off. At least you have a nice lift with heat in the garage to work on it. Good luck!

It really is a shame to think that this car lived its entire life in a natural state, only showing a little surface rust on the underside.  Then the dealer goes and screws up that natural state with spray cans.  I really don't understand the logic of painting the visible part of the drive shaft.  it's not going to end up on the side painted black each time the car comes to a rest.  lol  And that third member is a travesty.  Obviously these guys don't know classic Fords because that red oxide paint on the third member is one of the coolest things on the underside.  Well the important part is that you were able to purchase the car you were looking for.  The internet has really opened things up in that regard.  I remember when we still had to locate cars from ads in the newspaper, for sale signs on cars sitting by the road, perhaps a musclecar that showed up on a regular car dealer's used lot, or word of mouth.  What's done is done, and hopefully you send an e-mail to the classic car dealer, describing what you found underneath.
This one is on me. You buy it sight unseen, no matter how it is described or shown in pictures; unless there is a definitive lie ie. original engine turns out it is not...; hard to pursue otherwise. 

Im still happy with the car overall. Just, I have originality OCD... 

I am old enough to remember how we bought cars in the good old day’s...

I could see some of it on the sales video. The guy talked as if a rusty drive shaft was bad so they spruced it up LOL. Obviously, without seeing the car in person we hope for the best. Overall, the car is what I expected, just sickening to see how some in the car business are that clueless today...
Either way, most people in the "classic" car business are just used car dealers chasing the latest cash cow. Because of the age of the cars. states typically don't require any sort of warranty. Money is cheap and easy to get, now that these cars pull big numbers at auction. People spend new car money on their dream ride and can end up with a shiny POS that needs a complete mechanical restoration, or worse, and the dealer hides behind the "as-is" nature of the business. 

Regardless, this car truly is a time capsule. Hopefully the "detailing" comes off without too much work. 

One thing I did notice is the tailpipes look nothing like the originals on David's '73 Mach 1. The chrome outlets were gone in '73, but the sales literature did still state that the 4V engine had 2 1/2" outlets. 

I like to see the oxidation under a car ... it shows that the car is honest and unmolested. When I see someone has attacked it with cans ... I ask "what are they hiding"? ... most collectors I'm sure are the same ... we look for the patina to reveal part of it's history.

I too hate to see a non-professional hack job anywhere for that matter, but especially the under floor. Indeed, what ARE they hiding? 

That's why (and not just to insert my car into this) the entire under neath of my car from the firewall back, is totally untouched with the exception of the axle I just had rebuilt. There is zero rust and is pristine other than it could do with a good cleaning. To me, if I had decided to paint the under floor, it would have devalued the car for the very reason mentioned, "what's he hiding". Is it perfect, hell no, but it's as close as needs be. Here's just a small portion of the under belly.

I too hate to see a non-professional hack job anywhere for that matter, but especially the under floor. Indeed, what ARE they hiding? 

That's why (and not just to insert my car into this) the entire under neath of my car from the firewall back, is totally untouched with the exception of the axle I just had rebuilt. There is zero rust and is pristine other than it could do with a good cleaning. To me, if I had decided to paint the under floor, it would have devalued the car for the very reason mentioned, "what's he hiding". Is it perfect, hell no, but it's as close as needs be. Here's just a small portion of the under belly.

As I mentioned, he was trying to cover up the year’s of oxidation on bare metal parts. This was an Oakland, California car it’s entire life. I can confirm after inspection, the undercarriage is pristine, never touched with any form of bodywork. Just paint...

That is typical of the Shiny Used Classic car dealers. They do not have a clue. Spray ArmorAll on everything and think that adds value.

I would stay away from the aircraft stripper on anything that did have paint on it. Like Midlife said Lacquer thinner should do the job and leave the factory paint on. 

Good to hear you like originals also. They are only original once then just another restored car. Some things you have to change to be safe but rattle can restoring a car never adds value.

https://ibb.co/RQWrzCY
7173Vert wrote:

As I mentioned, he was trying to cover up the year’s of oxidation on bare metal parts. This was an Oakland, California car it’s entire life. I can confirm after inspection, the undercarriage is pristine, never touched with any form of bodywork. Just paint...
  That's good to hear, just an idiot with a spray can. He ought to have just left it as is, but he didn't know any better.

That is typical of the Shiny Used Classic car dealers. They do not have a clue. Spray ArmorAll on everything and think that adds value.

I would stay away from the aircraft stripper on anything that did have paint on it. Like Midlife said Lacquer thinner should do the job and leave the factory paint on. 

Good to hear you like originals also. They are only original once then just another restored car. Some things you have to change to be safe but rattle can restoring a car never adds value.
I like my restored car's too and I don't consider it just another restored car... I will definitely work with lacquer thinner to see what I can do. It will have to wait until next winter when I put it up on jack stand’s for the winter. i will tear down the undercarriage then and work from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, most people in the "classic" car business are just used car dealers chasing the latest cash cow. Because of the age of the cars. states typically don't require any sort of warranty.  Money is cheap and easy to get, now that these cars pull big numbers at auction. People spend new car money on their dream ride and can end up with a shiny POS that needs a complete mechanical restoration, or worse, and the dealer hides behind the "as-is" nature of the business. 

Regardless, this car truly is a time capsule. Hopefully the "detailing" comes off without too much work. 

One thing I did notice is the tailpipes look nothing like the originals on David's '73 Mach 1. The chrome outlets were gone in '73, but the sales literature did still state that the 4V engine had 2 1/2" outlets. 

Either way, most people in the "classic" car business are just used car dealers chasing the latest cash cow. Because of the age of the cars. states typically don't require any sort of warranty.  Money is cheap and easy to get, now that these cars pull big numbers at auction. People spend new car money on their dream ride and can end up with a shiny POS that needs a complete mechanical restoration, or worse, and the dealer hides behind the "as-is" nature of the business. 

Yes, the mufflers and tailpipes were changed out at some time. They reused the original tailpipe clamps. The original H-Pipe and Intermediate pipes are still in place; original exhaust clamps and the appropriate lineup tab can be seen in the photo. Thanks.

Back