Staggered Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staggered Shocks

• Total voters
my 73 h code 351c 2v has them. marti report says it came with comp suspension. any other h codes out there with them?
Did your car also come with factory ram air?

my 73 h code 351c 2v has them. marti report says it came with comp suspension. any other h codes out there with them?
I had recently posted this on another thread....my deluxe marti report also states for my 73 H code 351 2v (no ram air originally) came with a competition suspenson included as part of the Mach 1 package at no charge. It was born Oct 2, 1972

Last edited by a moderator:
my car is non ram air. has two tone paint with hood though. mrbill4 mine says the same thing. you would think as far as cost in production that they would just have put staggered shocks on all cars.

My Marti report doesn't say anything about a competition suspension, it indicates a M-351-4V Engine, 63R Mustang Mach1 Sportsroof and lists the other options but nothing about a competition suspension included as part of the Mach 1 package, but mine is a 71, maybe they "later" made the competion suspension a part of the Mach 1 package???

Ok....here it is again lol.......this is part of my deluxe Marti Report...I'm curious if anyone has a deluxe Marti Report on a 73 H code without ram air, does yours say the same thing?

11l31wp.jpg

I read somewhere that you had to order competition suspension and a manual trans to get stagerred shocks on any 71-73

My H code is not a Mach and has competition suspenion/automatic and no stagered shocks

I bought a second car as a donor for all the parts mine was missing when I got her. Both were 72's. The Mach one (mfg date 9/71) has the staggered shocks, the sportsroof did not. It's a stick and the wheel hop was always there.

My Marti report doesn't say anything about a competition suspension, it indicates a M-351-4V Engine, 63R Mustang Mach1 Sportsroof and lists the other options but nothing about a competition suspension included as part of the Mach 1 package, but mine is a 71, maybe they "later" made the competion suspension a part of the Mach 1 package???
That is wild Jim...But doesnt suprize me too much...You learn something new about these cars all the time..Every time you think you know alot about them..Some one pops up with some curious information....What we need to see is a 1972 and later 4v that doesnt have staggered shocks like yours..Which i have not seen...But maybe yours was so early it was still a add on or not..Maybe some one didnt want the comp supension in your car...but still wanted the mach 1 package and look...Its hard to know...was it a retail order or stock ..or?

"

That is wild Jim...But doesnt suprize me too much...You learn something new about these cars all the time..Every time you think you know alot about them..Some one pops up with some curious information....What we need to see is a 1972 and later 4v that doesnt have staggered shocks like yours..Which i have not seen...But maybe yours was so early it was still a add on or not..Maybe some one didnt want the comp supension in your car...but still wanted the mach 1 package and look...Its hard to know...was it a retail order or stock ..or?
Not sure how I can tell if it was a retail order or stock order from the Marti report. But it was an early 71 actually assembled 12/10/70 in Dearborn and sold on 01/12/71 at Mid Way Ford in Toppenish WA. All the importnat numbers match, engine, frame and dash VIN, it' was manufactured as a 1F05M car, "Mach1 4V" and it doesn't have staggered shocks.

Jim

"

Not sure how I can tell if it was a retail order or stock order from the Marti report. But it was an early 71 actually assembled 12/10/70 in Dearborn and sold on 01/12/71 at Mid Way Ford in Toppenish WA. All the importnat numbers match, engine, frame and dash VIN, it' was manufactured as a 1F05M car, "Mach1 4V" and it doesn't have staggered shocks.

Jim
Your marti report...should show the order type...right above where it was ordered from....like mine...Notice it says..order type:stock ..Below door plate information...and above dunton ford santa ana....So above your Mid Way Ford in Toppenish WA...it will should say order type: retail..means orderd by customer....order type :stock...Means dealer ordered for display at location ..and there are more special order types...Most comon is retail....but i noticed most of the order type stock are odd balls...Some big dealers had alot of pull with ford and would order special stangs to put on display...Alot of folks "including me" Use to ignor the order type...Till i found out diffrent..lol

Found it, it says order type is retail. The more I learn about our cars the more I realize how little I know. Interesting stuff, thanks for working with my on this puzle.

Jim

Found it, it says order type is retail. The more I learn about our cars the more I realize how little I know. Interesting stuff, thanks for working with my on this puzle.

Jim
Its a cool mystery i think...Kinda like my j code on my warranty card...It shouldnt be there..Yet it is...And was done for a reason...But the reason why has long been lost...lol....There gots too be a story hidden behind the reason why yours didnt get stagggard shocks like all the other 4v cleveland mach 1 stangs threw 71-73

Not to throw a wrench in this but mine says retail also and has staggered shocks :huh:
According too alot of web sites...All 4v mach 1's and bigger got staggered shocks...The weird thing is...Jim's was a 4v cleveland without staggered.....Only reason i wanted to see if it was retail or not...Is cause sometimes it will state...Special test vehical" On order...Which would account for the normal shocks instead of staggered..Or a special high dollar "stock "display order...It would state that on the marti and be a good idea why only his is like that...lol..But its a retail order....And like Jim has stated it all looks stock and doesnt look like the car ever had staggered shocks...Frame and vin's all match...Just odd why his doesnt like the rest of the 4v mach 1's of our years...Kinda hoping another 4v early cleveland shows up now and says....yup...I got one too!!..lol

Not to throw a wrench in this but mine says retail also and has staggered shocks :huh:
According too alot of web sites...All 4v mach 1's and bigger got staggered shocks...The weird thing is...Jim's was a 4v cleveland without staggered.....Only reason i wanted to see if it was retail or not...Is cause sometimes it will state...Special test vehical" On order...Which would account for the normal shocks instead of staggered..Or a special high dollar "stock "display order...It would state that on the marti and be a good idea why only his is like that...lol..But its a retail order....And like Jim has stated it all looks stock and doesnt look like the car ever had staggered shocks...Frame and vin's all match...Just odd why his doesnt like the rest of the 4v mach 1's of our years...Kinda hoping another 4v early cleveland shows up now and says....yup...I got one too!!..lol
Actually Ritchie, another "Washingtonian" in Spokane also has a M code Mach1 with the 4V and his doesn't have staggered shocks either. Here's his post.

Okay, I have two 71' m code Mach 1's...the car with factory ram air has the staggered shocks and the non ram air car does not. I have pulled fenders and verified vins on both cars. So I can say for sure that all m codes did not get the staggered shock treatment.

Actually Ritchie, another "Washingtonian" in Spokane also has a M code Mach1 with the 4V and his doesn't have staggered shocks either. Here's his post.

Okay, I have two 71' m code Mach 1's...the car with factory ram air has the staggered shocks and the non ram air car does not. I have pulled fenders and verified vins on both cars. So I can say for sure that all m codes did not get the staggered shock treatment.
See...the websites must be wrong .."nothing new".Cause they all state all 4v 71-73 stangs got them...I wonder if it was only the q code mustangs and above of that year "even know the M code had more hp" got them stock... but maybe had to be added early on to the M code.....Btw...I found one website that shows 2 diffrent m codes...lol...And dont show anything about a q code in that year...lol http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/71.shtml i think they a little consufed on codes thou....So i guess on M codes we have to say..they did not all come staggered...Maybe early on they didnt offer them on m codes along with the mach 1 package.

Back