Staggered Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staggered Shocks

• Total voters
Found it, it says order type is retail. The more I learn about our cars the more I realize how little I know. Interesting stuff, thanks for working with my on this puzle.

Jim
Went back and looked at my Marti Report and mine says "Basic" for order type. IS that the same as "Stock"?

Found it, it says order type is retail. The more I learn about our cars the more I realize how little I know. Interesting stuff, thanks for working with my on this puzle.

Jim
Went back and looked at my Marti Report and mine says "Basic" for order type. IS that the same as "Stock"?
Interesting...So your sprint was a keep ford busy car......very cool..Most reports i see are retail...yours : Basic – Ford has excess capacity on an assembly line and produces vehicles to keep the plant busy...I find my self looking down marti reports for order types now...lol

Retail – an individual comes to a dealership and orders an as yet unbuilt vehicle

Stock – a dealer orders a vehicle to have available for display at his/her location

Basic – Ford has excess capacity on an assembly line and produces vehicles to keep the plant busy

Fleet – a company that orders five or more vehicles yearly qualifies for price breaks on these vehicles

Special Purpose Vehicle – a vehicle built by Ford for what the name implies

Introductory Show Unit – a vehicle built to demonstrate a new model. Generally this vehicle is shipped to be on display at some large public gathering

A-Plan – vehicles built for current Ford employees and sold at a discounted price

Z-Plan – vehicles built for retired Ford employees and sold at a discounted price

Lease – vehicles leased by Ford to an individual or a company

And there are more than that on order types...Some are so rare you have to call marti and ask them...I guess they dont state every order type on there website...But most.

Last edited by a moderator:
....So i guess on M codes we have to say..they did not all come staggered...Maybe early on they didnt offer them on m codes along with the mach 1 package.

Thats interesting and cant be true because mine is an early production 71 M Mach1 non ram air with staggered shocks:huh:

....So i guess on M codes we have to say..they did not all come staggered...Maybe early on they didnt offer them on m codes along with the mach 1 package.
Thats interesting and cant be true because mine is an early production 71 M Mach1 nin ram air with staggered shocks:huh:

Im thinkin..Maybe the option had to be added..You could have a M code with or without staggered ?....Or maybe only the ram air 71 M codes got staggered shocks.?...Cause all other 4v mach's later on got them standerd...I remmeber it being a quick sign if the car was a real 4v mach 1 or not...lol...You learn something diff all the time than what you read or seen on mach 1's...Mine has them stock..But mine is a q code built realy late in 73 production in june...All 73 q codes should " that is should" have them too..lol

http://www.7173mustangs.com/misc.php?page=1971 Even our forums state all 351 4v cars got staggered..hehe...We mite figure out all pages are wrong on this one...So it seems so far.

...Im thinkin..Maybe the option had to be added..You could have a M code with or without staggered ?....Or maybe only the ram air 71 M codes got staggered shocks.?...
I'm guessing only the very early 71 M codes didn't get them "standard issue". After all, the early 71's were the guinea pigs for our models and they made several "adjustments" by the end of 71. The cool thing is that we can have over 7 pages of thoughtful discussions on staggered schocks as we dissect this anomaly.

Thats interesting and cant be true because mine is an early production 71 M Mach1 non ram air with staggered shocks:huh:

My m code 71 was built in the fall of 1970 and has staggered. 351 4v with 4spd.....

My m code 71 was built in the fall of 1970 and has staggered. 351 4v with 4spd.....

Not listed on my Marti report as any type if comp suspension but I have them.....????

My 10/9/70 built M code has staggered shocks.

My 4/28/71 built M code also has staggered shocks.

My 72 & 73 Q code cars have staggered shocks.

All my H code cars have non-staggered shocks.

All my 71-73 cars are Mach 1s and have the competition suspension. The staggered shocks are an upgrade to the competition suspension for the more powerful 4v cars.

A possibility for an M code that doesn't have the staggered shocks is that the factory pulled a buck (body) that was slated for another lesser car and made it the buck for an M code in the early months of production. If Ford didn't have a part or a buck ready they would regularly pull one from another build - especially if it was for a Retail order where the car was already sold if they could just get it built & out the door. I bet the odd M codes w/o staggered shocks were all retail order cars.

The staggered shocks are an upgrade to the competition suspension for the more powerful 4v cars.
Not so sure about that D..the competition susp package included the staggered rear shocks
Fair enough Buddy. I'll see if I can dig up the literature where I read about the comp susp package.

Fair enough Buddy. I'll see if I can dig up the literature where I read about the comp susp package.
Scott, take a look at the first section of the last attachment that Rex made on his original post at this thread... http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-accesory-suggested-retail-price-list

If I read it correctly the competition suspension came on all Mach 1s (even the 302 powered ones) and the staggered shocks came on the 4v and above powered cars.

Scott, take a look at the first section of the last attachment that Rex made on his original post at this thread... http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-accesory-suggested-retail-price-list

If I read it correctly the competition suspension came on all Mach 1s (even the 302 powered ones) and the staggered shocks came on the 4v and above powered cars.

Looks like the document shows competition suspension came on all Mach 1s and 4v and above cars for the 72 models but what about the 71's?

My understanding of the competition susp package is that it included staggered shocks..so lets say you ordered say a regular 302 powered fastback & checked off the competition susp option you received staggered shocks..as part of that option..

From what I've read, it wasn't. It was mandated by law for saftey reasons for all motors 4V and over due to extra twisting stress on the unibody.

I'd be interested to see if this is true by asking who has a 4V (non mach1?) without the competition suspension. eg: coupe, grande, vert, etc.

Let's see if they all have staggered shocks? (or at least the vast majority)

From what I've read, it wasn't. It was mandated by law for saftey reasons for all motors 4V and over due to extra twisting stress on the unibody.
::huh:::

Has nothing to do with the unibody..As a body guy for over 25 years I can state that as fact.

Staggered shocks are supposed to help control rear axle wind-up better on a leaf spring. They dampen the force of winding and unwinding. Very simple concept.

::huh:::

Has nothing to do with the unibody..As a body guy for over 25 years I can state that as fact.

Staggered shocks are supposed to help control rear axle wind-up better on a leaf spring. They dampen the force of winding and unwinding. Very simple concept.
Which with enough HP is very ineffective

One more data point here:

Seeing as my M-code has an 11/70 build date (and a C6), Jim PM'ed me not more than a minute ago to ask if I had staggered shocks on my car - or if mine is, likewise, an oddball like his 12/70 car with standard shocks.

Just came back from taking a look. Staggered shocks on the 11/70 M-code.

-Kurt

Looks like the document shows competition suspension came on all Mach 1s and 4v and above cars for the 72 models but what about the 71's?

Similar for 71. Except 71 mentions the 429 cu in motors.

See pages C-12 & C-13 from the 71 Ford Facts Book (rev Feb 15 '71)

I recently posted it on the Wiki:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-ford-mustang-facts-book

Ray

I tried to post the 72 Salesman brochure and couldn't so check these two links for 72 Facts or fiction depending on Quality is job 1

http://mustangtek.com/Library2/1972MustangSales.html

Browse through and the details for competition suspension are on page C-19. IT says that competition suspension is required with 351 4v and not available on 250. Says Extra heavy duty rear shocks but makes no mention of them being staggered. On page C-10 it shows staggered shocks on 351 4v only on functional chart. More info on C-11 states that competition suspension is optional on all engines other than 250 cid and is standard on 351 4v and Mach 1. Mustangs with Competition Suspension and 351 4v will again be equipped with staggered rear shock absorbers in 1972.

Back