Stainless Trim on Deluxe Door Panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
Are the bent tabs on the SST trim strips prone to breaking? Have any of you annealed the tabs to normalize the metal?

What about annealing the aluminum tabs on the inserts?

I removed 3 sets of this trim from door panels to get the best pieces and I didn’t break any of them. I’m always careful with things like that. Best piece of advice I can give you is when seating them do not pull the tabs but push them from the stainless steel trim side. I saw someone pulling the tabs and bending them with a pliers and broken 2 of them.

I've already removed mine. Out of all of the trim, 1 tab broke on an aluminum insert. I may try to anneal a couple of tabs to test the waters.

I'm thinking the aluminum are more prone to breaking than the SST..that's what I was hoping to learn from my post.

Please let us know on the annealing ? I need to do my door panels soon and that would be good info.
Thx
Rod

Several aluminium tabs on my door trims were missing/almost broken. I removed them all and cut small strips of mild steel sheeting. Bent them to fit into the trim slot and fixed them in place with fiber glass/epoxy. The steel tabs pulled the trims in firmly.

WGP1.jpg WGP2.jpg WGP3.jpg WGP4.jpg

Back