Started my cowl rust repair today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
I started work on my cowl rust today on my '72. I pulled the hood and passenger fender off. Then I started taking the dash apart. I bagged and tagged as I went. Still more dash disassembly to do, but it is finally going. I think I am going to completely pull the dash and sand the underside of the cowl to look for all of the pinholes before I start the top side. I am hoping to only cut a section of the cowl off on the passenger side. The good news is the windshield is already broken, so I am going to pull it out to make this project easier and to do it properly.

As all these projects go, I have found 4 other projects I am going to do before calling it done. I am sure that list will grow...

Good luck with it. I too would like to see pics of your progress since I have to do one of these too on one of my cars.

I had the shop do it on my 65. My M-code needs upper & lower; it's the worst I've ever seen but that is my dream car so I'm going to fix it!

I haven't gotten to anything unusual/interesting enough for a picture as yet, but when I do, I will take some shots and post. I just have to keep myself in check. On my last project, I started out to do a valve job--9 years and a complete nut and bolt restoration later it is basically done. I don't really want to do that again just yet, so I have to keep the "while I'm at its" under control!

With mine it's the driverside, so would love details on how it goes. Good luck.
I have a good drivers side cowl

Do you need a/c or non?

Don

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Come on Man - you know you took pictures. I need some inspiration. :D

I started work on my cowl rust today on my '72. I pulled the hood and passenger fender off. Then I started taking the dash apart. I bagged and tagged as I went. Still more dash disassembly to do, but it is finally going. I think I am going to completely pull the dash and sand the underside of the cowl to look for all of the pinholes before I start the top side. I am hoping to only cut a section of the cowl off on the passenger side. The good news is the windshield is already broken, so I am going to pull it out to make this project easier and to do it properly.

As all these projects go, I have found 4 other projects I am going to do before calling it done. I am sure that list will grow...
i replaced the 1 in my 72,you are taking the widshield out you will be better of seperateing the top part to fix it in the vehicle....i know there are a lot of spot welds...some where around 75-80 but it will be easier to fix...i still had to fix the replacement 1 that came from arizonaq....i welded in small patches and then i por 15 the whole inside and then replaced it as a complete section...kots of fun

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Come on Man - you know you took pictures. I need some inspiration. :D
You'll have to search for my other thread! The cowl project is complete and drove the car for the first time last weekend. Several while I'm at its came up including front brakes, wheel bearings, repairs to the upper control arms, dash restoration, etc. So, it took some time.

Back