Starter and a lot of smoke

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Been driving the car a lot since the weather changed with no issues. Today when I went to put it in the garage. I started it up and the starter made a loud clunk noise. I tried again and another clunk noise and then a lot of smoke. I disconnected the battery and the cable and battery where very warm. I have owned the car for 6 years and have replaced all the cables and the solenoid.

Could it be anything thing else other they the starter??? Any recommendation for a inexpensive starter ? I was planning on having some upholstery work done so I need to keep this repair under control if possible.

John J

I need a better description of your symptoms. If I read correctly you went to start the car, you got a clunk, the engine did not turn over and the battery cables were very warm.

If this is correct then the power was going to the starter. If it was not turning over the engine then either the starter is bad or the engine is seized. You need to verify that the engine will turn freely. Take a breaker bar and socket to the crank and see if you can move the engine in either direction. It will take a bit of force but not a lot.

One possible situation is coolant leaked into a cylinder that was on the compression stroke. I would check the coolant level, I would also pull the spark plugs of the two cylinders that are on the compression stroke and verify there is no wetness. It sounds like a pain but is cheap insurance.

Just sounds like your starter went out. I put a new one in for about 70 bucks I think. Wish I would have known about the mini starter, might have given that a try for how cheap it is. Good luck and hope that’s all that is wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. Will I able be able to reach the starter with the car on jack stands. My car has 14 inch wheels on it and sits petty low.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, getting to the starter isn't too bad. Loosen up the top and harder to get to bolt first. It's a bit easier if the bottom bolt still has the starter torqued down.

Again, my advice, unless you see something obviously wrong with the starter, turn the engine over by hand. Check the spark plugs. If there is coolant leaking into a cylinder and you get the engine to fire up you can do a lot of damage. I know this sounds 'dramatic' but a leaking head gasket is much easier to deal with compared to broken rods or cylinder walls.

Failure is likely caused by the brushes dust creating shorts.

But @Will e is right, make sure its not smoking trying too hard because engine isn't able to rotate.

Just want to add a detail. In case you do not have a dynamometric ratchet/torque tool, make sure you do this after you removed all spark plugs.

On an healthy engine with plugs in, if you try rotate both directions using the crankshaft lock nut, you may actually loosen it and will need to set back to proper torque, while with plugs out and engine cold, rotating the engine gently will not.

I listened to these guys and went with the inexpensive mini starter. Could not be happier so far. Even my kid got into the car the other day and commented at how strong it now sounds when firing it up. Only negative? Maybe it sounds a little different than the old style starter if that matters to you.

If I may suggest you soak the two bolts holding the starter on with some PB Blaster or the like. I had a hell of a time with one of them and stripped the head a bit. Otherwise, really easy install and easy to reach.

You may want to check all your wiring again after seeing smoke! Also make sure the engine isn't locked up as suggested.

Thanks for the feedback. Will I able be able to reach the starter with the car on jack stands. My car has 14 inch wheels on it and sits petty low.

John J
Make sure you got some long socket extensions

Success put in the new starter today and the engine started right up. I went with a Tuff Stuff starter from NPD. According to the label on the box it made in the states. NPD is 20 miles from my house and they had one in stock. Paid  115.00 for a new one. Top bolt was a pain as predicted. I replaced the solenoid and the cable too. Here the link if anyone is looking for a starter

. It fit like a glove.

John J

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_starter_new_super_torque-101097-433.html

Back