Starter Solenoid problem?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steves73

Reaction score
My Car
73 rusty convertible
Cranking gradually became slower off and on over last few months. First thought was heat affecting starter, as it happened after brief shutdowns. Checked all my connections, replaced one. Then I thought battery. Acted like it was bad, 5 minutes on a charger and problem disappeared. Got a new DB starter, no difference.
I just tried starting with headlights on, and solenoid didn't even click, lights didn't dim. Lights off and it goes back to solenoid clicking. I'm thinking bad contact in the solenoid takes too much power. It's about 5 years old, and not used much. 20220707_125526.jpg

Have the battery load tested. Chuck
Store said a cell shorted.
It really seemed like the starter taking too much current, and intermittent, but a good lesson for me. Battery wasn't old, in fact new enough for a free warranty replacement.

I'm glad you got it fixed, and at no additional cost. Batteries that used to last 6-7 years now last 3-4 years. The best ones I've seen lately are made by East Penn Manufacturing and sold under various names. Chuck

Back