Starter switch spring key return

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Block MACH

Reaction score
My Car
73 MACH 1
I have a 73 mustang with a big block. I needed a powerful starter so I installed a powermaster high torque starter. The Powermaster is equipped with a solenoid like a GM car. So I hooked it up not using the ford solenoid. Starters don't last long maybe a year or two.

Now I'm having problems with my starter ignition system switch. My car ran great parked it, didn't drive it for a week or three. Then wanted to drive it and was hard to start. The starter did not want to start so I twisted the key a few times and it started then it died. So I checks the coil it was ok then the distributor and the distributor was bad changed it next. Still not working no spark, then the key got cylinder got hot Smokey so I changed it. So I changed the starter switch the one that goes on the steering column. I don't no if I have a faulty switch or its something else. But the new switch went bad. The key does not spring back after the starter has been engaged. So the return spring doesn't work anymore. Does Know about the starter switches? When the key ignition starter switch gets hot does it burn the spring out?

I have a 73 mustang with a big block. I needed a powerful starter so I installed a powermaster high torque starter. The Powermaster is equipped with a solenoid like a GM car. So I hooked it up not using the ford solenoid. Starters don't last long maybe a year or two.

Now I'm having problems with my starter ignition system switch. My car ran great parked it, didn't drive it for a week or three. Then wanted to drive it and was hard to start. The starter did not want to start so I twisted the key a few times and it started then it died. So I checks the coil it was ok then the distributor and the distributor was bad changed it next. Still not working no spark, then the key got cylinder got hot Smokey so I changed it. So I changed the starter switch the one that goes on the steering column. I don't no if I have a faulty switch or its something else. But the new switch went bad. The key does not spring back after the starter has been engaged. So the return spring doesn't work anymore. Does Know about the starter switches? When the key ignition starter switch gets hot does it burn the spring out?

Back