starting to plan for a winter engine build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue print engine’s also build a 408 stroker but they don’t warranty well and don’t use very quality parts. They say they are turnkey and don’t come with harmonic balancer or flex plate. They build them right here in Kearney Nebraska and I wouldn’t buy one from them

I was hoping to get the motor in the car and done for $10k. looks like I will be a bit over that with a 408 crate. I think the 545 stroker in my 78 Ranger was about $10k to get into the truck, but I used the short block I had and save a few bucks. I need to keep looking at power curves and see what the options are with a 351w block

yikes! that's at least a $9k motor! I just checked out their website
That's the thing, when you want an engine that puts out that kind of power you have to pay for it, whether it's a crate or a DIY.

If I were going to spend that much I would probably go with this Ford crate engine, around 11K

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-6007z2427fft?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+F&utm_term=4581802393691022&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba2832a9aee1

has anyone installed an Edelbrock performer RPM top-end kit? I see advertised hp numbers of 430 and 450 torque, but I can't find any details on what the power curve looks like. I imagine the torque tops out at around 4,500 rpm, but I can't find any specs.

btw, my crazy plan to put my 545 stroker big block in the mustang is not going to happen. I sold the truck yesterday :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a lot of fun to drive. I had 389 gears and do quite a bit of hiway driving so I changed them to 325 and still have a lot of power off the line I’m very pleased with it
Nice. Can you share some specs? Cam, heads, compression, pistons, etc.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

has anyone installed an Edelbrock performer RPM top-end kit?  I see advertised hp numbers of 430 and 450 torque, but I can't find any details on what the power curve looks like.  I imagine the torque tops out at around 4,500 rpm, but I can't find any specs. 

btw, my crazy plan to put my 545 stroker big block in the mustang is not going to happen.  I sold the truck yesterday :(

Found an article where they dyno tested a junkyard 351W with the #2090 451hp top end kit. Results were 460 hp at 6,100 rpm and 435 lb-ft at 4,300 rpm.

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech-stories/topped-off-edelbrock-351w-power-packages/

With the top end kit and all the other bits you'll need to make it happen, you're still into it for about $5k without labor, and you still have a big question mark of a bottom end.

my latest thinking is that I will take the 306 stroker from my Bronco and put it in the Mach 1. its a new EFI crate with 1500 miles. great motor but I made a mistake putting it in the Bronco. it makes 380hp/420 torque. not exactly the power curve I wanted in the mustang, but I think I'd rather spend money putting a big block in the Bronco, than spending $10k on a motor for the mustang.

Blue print engine’s also build a 408 stroker but they don’t warranty well and don’t use very quality parts. They say they are turnkey and don’t come with harmonic balancer or flex plate. They build them right here in Kearney Nebraska and I wouldn’t buy one from them
 We considered a Blue Print crate engine a while back for our Maverick. I was under the impression that the guys from Hot Rod magazine used them in their Engine Masters series videos.  From what I recall they held up in testing and dynoed what they were rated for, if not more. Concerning you mention quality and warranty issues though :(

I read that article about the junkyard 351 with top end build. the kit costs around $3800. I figure I also need: carb, radiator, headers/exhaust and miscellanous hoses, wires, fittings, prob $5k in parts, $2500 in labor.

I have heard that they designed their own heads and intake and have them built in China. And good luck getting it warranted. You cannot install the motor yourself unless you are ase certified otherwise they won’t warranty it

I'm currently following an auction for a 96 Bronco with a 396 ford racing motor and super charger making 550hp/torque, with less than 20k on the motor/blower. current bid is $5200. this would be an awesome motor tor transplant into my Mach 1.

Latest posts

Back