Steering box leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al rumble

Reaction score
My Car
1973 grande
I fixed up my steering coupler "rag joint" last night.

Because of the headers I think I was a little rough on the steering box.

When I first tightened the steering box it was crammed in so tight against the steering shaft it started to drip fluid from the input shaft!

I then loosend the steering box and went into the drivers seat and loosend and pulled the tilt steering back a quarter inch.

After retightening everything it is not dripping but I haven't pressured it up.

What should I do????

Hello Al rumble,

Is this the original steering box? Maybe you could clean up the area with Whitley Tire Cleaner while everything is cold. This would help to see if it is still leaking. Crank it up and put pressure to to see. If it is still leaking, then a replacement or rebuilt box maybe in order.

mustang7173

Hello Al rumble,

Is this the original steering box? Maybe you could clean up the area with Whitley Tire Cleaner while everything is cold. This would help to see if it is still leaking. Crank it up and put pressure to to see. If it is still leaking, then a replacement or rebuilt box maybe in order.

mustang7173
I'm in the process of rebuilding my Saginaw 800 box on my 71. There are some good video's on YouTube. I found a series of 5 that explain in great detail how to strip and rebuild tour box and the kits are readily available. However, the one from NPD, Omega master rebuild kit, does NOT contain replacement bearings. Look for the videos under Saginaw 800 power steering box rebuild. It will show a brand that has all the bearings included for about 60 bucks. It's not proving to be that hard as long as you follow the process. 60 bucks versus 400 (plus 45% current exchange, plus taxes was a no brainer for me)

Good luck, hope this helps.

Geoff.

Meant to post this to Al, Sorry Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed a rebuilt gear box in my jeep last night, in about an hour and a half. its an easy job

I rebuilt my mustang gear box, the rebuild kit is cheap, but it takes a whole saturday to finish.

Like others said google the saginaw gear box rebuild videos and follow along

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/570869-saginaw-box-rebuild-how.html

Your gear box is forty year old and its loaded with rubber and teflon seals, if its leaking its just going to get worst

You need a good pick and lots of lube to slip the seals on and off

The spool valve has little dowel pins and have to line up just right to get the assembly back together properly

When you install the balls you have to alternate the dark and shinny

balls, use a pick to stop the balls from going the wrong way on the worm gear, alternate the back and forth on the holes

keep 4 or 5 to go in the return tube

you can use vaseline to hold them in the tube

Good luck

Thanks for all the info.

I ran it today, with no load on the wheels, and it didn't leak.

When the snow is gone I will test it and keep an eye on it, and eventually, rebuild it.

Thanks

Al rumble,

If your budget will allow, you could look into http://www.powersteering.com/

Power Steering Gearbox Rebuilds: From $269.00!

I had my competition box rebuilt and added the 12.7:1 Fast Ratio Steering Gearbox Conversion kit. Wow, what a difference.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
On a recommendation from a friend I just sent my gear box for my 73 Mustang to A1 Cardone for rebuild. Never used this service before but did it through RockAuto.com. Cardone is here in TX and supposedly turn around is 2 days with 1-2 days shipping there and back (only 3 1/2 hours from where I live). Price was $179 which includes return shipping. I paid to ship to Cardone through UPS, $26. Hoping they do a great job.

Back