Steering box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
I've owned my '73 convertible since 1985, and it's gone from daily driver to weekend cruiser. Over the years the steering box has gone from slightly vague to a little loose to "GET OUT OF MY WAY!".

Well, after discussions with my mechanic and some searching I decided on a Lares Corp rebuilt box purchased from Rock Auto. Frankly, I was somewhat suspicious based on the price, but we decided to try it after a "better option" showed up and my mechanic (it helps to have small town guy who both knows the cars and his customers) refused to put it in!

After more than a month of Connecticut back road cruising I can report that the Lares unit works great! The steering feel is vastly improved (how DID it get that bad?!) and the entire driving experience is transformed. I now have no fear of taking out for a drive or down the highway at... well... down the highway.

The box that I ordered was their standard replacement unit which, near as I can tell, is a constant ratio box, so those with comp suspensions might want to keep looking. However, those of us with standard set ups and who use our cars for weekend cruises certainly should give these boxes a try...

Back