Steering Column Exploded View

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I finally finished something I started some time ago, in response to recent posts and questions about what, where and how components of the steering column are.

I wasn't able to find the description/sizes of some of the hardware, and if I can come up with them I'll add them later.

Fixed Column View.jpg

Tilt Column View.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeGriese

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
Check the AMK website for fastener specs.   You can search by Ford part number.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Good work Don. 

In the Ford 71 manual, it is a bit annoying that they show the fixed columns for several vehicle models and merely state " tilt similar", If the coupler connection is so different, that area, at least, ought to be shown, but it's not. The best example I could see is for the Lincoln Continental, but the diagram is so small, it's hard to make out. This one appears to be a bolt on coupler for the fixed column, i.e. not attached to the welded on plate as on a mustang and again states "tilt similar". So I wonder if the coupler for a Lincoln Continental is the same needed for the Mustang with tilt? Hmmm!

EDIT: A search on RockAuto for the 71-73 Lincoln Continental only shows 1 coupler, a Lares 202 with 3/4" full round 36 spline and has two pins (or posts) that would engage in a plate similar to the Mustang fixed column. It does not show any other details. So I guess that idea was a bust, sorry.

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
Check the AMK website for fastener specs.   You can search by Ford part number.
Thanks, Mike, they had one screw. I believe most of what's missing are things like pins and spacers.

2 screws and a washer, just missing one item now. As soon as I figure it out I'll repost.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
thanks for putting time and effort into + sharing.

JimB73

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convert
Thank You !  Very helpful.