Steering Column Lock Gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickesbueno

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible, 351 2B, (CA car with original emissions) all original- as in painfully all original.
I have a 1973 Mustang Convertible with a tilt-wheel steering column. My Steering Column Lock Gear has worn down gears. This is the part that interfaces with the steering column lock actuator that controls the ignition rod. Presently to turn the car off, I use needle nose pliers to pull the rod back- not the most safety or security conscious method.

I am looking for some guidance on locating this part, replicating this part, or finding a workable solution that doesn't involve buying an entire steering column.  I did find a place that had a photo and it looks spot on to the one that was in there: https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0az-3e717-a.html

I am also willing to crawl around in junk yards if someone can recommend one within 300 miles of central Texas.

Thanks for any advice!

The 3E717 column lock gear is common to all 70-up Ford (71-up Pinto/Bobcat), Mercury and Lincoln vehicles built through 7/5/73. Your best bet is to buy a complete column to get the part you need.  

Ford then switched to the D4AZ part, which has a rectangular keyway for the ignition lock cylinder to engage into. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D4AZ3E717A-Ford-Steering-Column-Lock-Gear-/224400920170?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c4#viTabs_0

You may also want to inspect the mating teeth on the 3E723 rack. Once again, it was used in a variety of cars, but only on those with tilt columns. A '73 would use D1AZ-3E723-C, and it was used on pretty much all post 4/12/71 build dates of 71& up full size Ford, Mustang and T-bird, and their Mercury & Lincoln brethren through the late 70s

73_mustang_cougar_tilt_column.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! you are spot on! I saw that exact part, but it just did not look right. Now that I look on the door panel, I see the car was built 06/73.

If I switched over to the D4AZ, then I am assuming (without parts in hand) that I am going to need a different ignition key than the stock one still on the car. I will have to see if the teeth align. If so then I can McGyver it back together.  I have access to a 3d printer, plastic won't last long, but at least it will be something until I can come up with something- just seems silly to have to buy the whole column to resell it and push the problem down to someone else.

This car was 100% stock until last year, so I am slowly replacing out parts to get it into near-daily driver condition (rather than an occasional weekend driver). I figure I have owned it for 28 years, better start sometime.

Back