Steering column removal for ignition switch replacement.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAO_3

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
351C 2V
I have a 1972 mach1 and I’m trying to replace the ignition since I am replacing all of the wiring. Any advice on how how to remove it would be greatly appreciated. 

You don't need to completely remove the steering column. Working out of memory here, but you just remove the two bolts that hold the column under the dash, which will drop the column. In my case the column drops until the steering wheel is held by the front seat. You probably don't want to drop it more than that. This would give you enough room to access the ignition switch bolts. When I had problems with my switch I did it a few times this way.

A ratchet wrench may be handy. Don't make the mistake of tightening it too much as I did. I ended up braking the stud. It still worked with one stud for a while until I removed the whole column and welded it back.

+1 with tony.  I would only drop it as little as possible that is needed to get the switch out.  There is a collar plus a plate at the fire wall that also holds the column in place. You don't have to loosen it but you don't want to bend anything down there either.  Also make sure when you replace the switch that you adjust so it is indented correctly for the off position.  Most new switches come with a "golf tee" that holds the switch in the correct position during install.  

its been a while but you pop off the lower dash cover 2 Phillips screws that takes the lower plastic piece off the column.

then there are either 2 or 4 large nuts (i forget) that will release the steering column from the dash. you will then have clearance to get to the ignition switch and the rod that goes to the ignition key assembly.

pop the switch connector and 2 small screws and off the switch comes. 

if you ever wanted to adjust the position of the steering column move it fore or aft. you will have to release the column from the dash in a similar manor.

if you do move the column to a different position then double check your rubber isolator rag joint on the steering box connection. the bottom of the column telescopes however due to rust and age it will get stuck if you move the column back then it will pull on the rag joint and can disconnect the mechanical joint pins if that happens then the wheel is putting all the weight on the rubber of the rag joint if the rubber rips you can lose control of the car's steering.

after servicing the ignition switch i would inspect the rag joint anyway just make sure the rubber is in good shape and the finger pins are making contact through the plate (like a U joint)

Back