Steering Linkage grade-what's the difference?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just sent my leaking power steering gear box to Lee Power Steering to be rebuilt. I figured while I'm at it, I might as well replace the tie rod ends. Looking at NPD catalog, I can either buy "professional grade" or "service grade". For outer tie rods I can buy Moog brand, which are 34.78 each vs. 12.93 each for "professional grade" For inner tie rod ends it's 70.23 each PG vs. 23.40 ea SG.

Not that I want to cheap out, but that's a major difference, and I'm wondering if there really is much of a difference in quality and durability. Anyone have experience with the standard grade stuff? This is otherwise stock suspension and steering, except the PS box will have 12:1 gears and a beefier control valve rod.

Thanks!

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Go for the Moog parts. I buy a lot from NPD, but not items that I consider - "non-restoration" parts.

View attachment 68702
Did you mean "you buy a lot from Rock Auto", not NPD? Or did I totally misunderstand your meaning......... which is entirely possible.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 coupe
71 Country Squire
65 coupe
Did you mean "you buy a lot from Rock Auto", not NPD? Or did I totally misunderstand your meaning......... which is entirely possible.

I buy a restoration parts from NPD, but I don't buy items from them that I consider "general service" or "replacement" type parts . Brakes, bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, sensors, seals, stuff like that. NPD is a great company, but you do pay a price for the convenience of one stop shopping.

Reaction score
My Car
My all time favorite vehicle is our 1969 Shelby GT500
I buy a restoration parts from NPD, but I don't buy items from them that I consider "general service" or "replacement" type parts . Brakes, bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, sensors, seals, stuff like that. NPD is a great company, but you do pay a price for the convenience of one stop shopping.
NPD does offer some high quality parts, and I trust them to provide only high quality parts for our vintage pony cars. I have never been disappointed by them. When it comes to brake and suspension parts I am actually very picky and highly demanding. For bearings I get Timken brand, for suspension NOS or Moog, for brakes NOS or Bendix, or Raybestos, for wheel bearing lubrication, Mobil 1 wheel bearing/suspension synthetic grease. As you can likely surmise, I am quite fussy about all parts on our vintage pony cars. But, for brakes, suspension, and tires I compromise nothing, ever. No short cuts, no El Cheapo parts in an effort to save a nickel, and the best quality work I can provide, whether I do it myself or hire the work out (rarely do I let anyone else work on our cars, only for really heavy work I am not able to perform safely given my medical condition).

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I second the Gil and Tim's comments. I use Timken bearings for rebuilding the differential and also for wheel bearings, but I used Timken brand wheel bearing grease instead of Mobil 1. Likewise, I also use Moog steering components and Bendix and Raybestos brake parts. If it's a critical component, I always use the best quality parts I can find.