Steering response is sensitive

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
So I finally got to put some miles on the car yesterday and man is that steering responsive...a lil too responsive. I sent my factory box out to powersteering.com and they cleaned it up and installed a fast ratio of 12.7:1. 

To be honest I broke put the white knuckles a lil when I hit some bumps in the road. The steering is on the tighter side in terms of rotation which makes the possibility of over compensation greater. I have a serpentine kit using the GM style ps pump. I'm also using a hydraboost kit for steering and brakes. 

I did have to change the control valve to allow for the hydraboost boost with I think increased the GPM's of the unit...or did it decrease? Not sure. Either way she's pretty responsive and not sure if I'll get use to it or not. Thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks

If you haven't had an alignment in a while I would suggest that before changing any parts.

Our cars were designed a long time ago- tires are different now, Adding more + caster will help reduce steering sensitivity.

If you haven't had an alignment in a while I would suggest that before changing any parts.

Our cars were designed a long time ago- tires are different now, Adding more + caster will help reduce steering sensitivity.
Yes it was just aligned and I'm running 18x8's up front. If it is what it is I guess I'll just adjust because I love how the car drives with the hydraulics and EFI. Just wondering if there was anything else possibly going on?

You might try changing tire pressures. A common mistake is to retain stock air pressures when going to larger tires. Usually less pressure is required for handling and comfort.

Some of this might be my fault. Just spoke to the guys at hydratech. When I spec'd my stuff I didn't specify I had a fast ratio box. He mentioned I could get a portion valve to put between the hydraboost and steering box and adjust to my liking. Or just move to a smaller control valve in the pump. The valve is 18 bucks vs the 100 dollar adjustable. Have to look into it.

Yes it was just aligned and I'm running 18x8's up front. If it is what it is I guess I'll just adjust because I love how the car drives with the hydraulics and EFI. Just wondering if there was anything else possibly going on?
What were the alignment specs? Factory specs are NG for modern radial tires, you end up with light, low effort steering and that wandering feeling. 3~4 degrees of *positive* caster should get you a much better feel. 

Ok guys, just got the old girl back. I had a phone conversation with several emails with John from opentracker. Awesome guy to talk to and was more that happy to give me the info needed without a penny for service or parts.

Had my alignment guy take the upper control arms off and rotate its shaft such that it moved the two bolts that go through the shock tower towards the firewall. From there we added washers to the upper control arm bolt towards the radiator. After these adjustments were got between 4-5 degrees of positive caster.

She's actually rides like a sports car now. Not saying she's a BMW but I can hit bumps on the road now and she stays straight! Response is very nice and can make turns with one hand again. She still doesn't snap back to center like a new car but the overall feel is night and day from what it was.

Back