Steering shaft rag joint alignment.rebuilt the rag joint and installed it wa

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 Q code 351 replaced with 1968 “429 thunder jet”

[url=https://ibb.co/dQW99z][img]https://preview.ibb.co/bEMnwe/Mach_1_front_side_up.jpg[/img][/url]
I am new to this site so if I’m posting in wrong spot I apologize up front.

I just had my steering box rebuilt. I rebuilt the rag joint and installed it on the box. When installing the box there is 1/2 inch gap between steering shaft and rag joint. I can get all 3 bolts through the frame and into the box and even attach the rag joint to steering shaft but the rag joint is deformed. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust how much the steering shaft comes through the firewall? 

1973 Mach1 originally Q code 351 ram air ( now 429 Thunderjet). Power steering Spa-t Saginaw 800 box was variable ratio now 12.7:1. 

I know my rebuilt box is same box I sent in for rebuild due to cosmetic flaw in casting. Rag joint was trashed since I bought the car so I do not know if original was deformed to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The steering shaft is supposed to be collapsable. It should just extend... you might need to do a little cleaning and lubrication work. Are you positive the rag joint is correct and has the 5/16 - 9/16” pin combo? If the pins are too large they won’t fit in the radial slots cut in the steering shaft end.

The steering shaft is supposed to be collapsable.  It should just extend... you might need to do a little cleaning and lubrication work.  Are you positive the rag joint is correct and has the 5/16 - 9/16” pin combo?  If the pins are too large they won’t fit in the radial slots cut in the steering shaft end.
I has similar alignment problems while installing steering shaft.  turned out the previous owner had removed the steering wheel and used a BFH to  beat on the top of the steering shaft while pulling up on the wheel to get the wheel off. after taking apart the complete assembly i discovered that the central shaft had been shortened by 1.5 inches due to his beating on the shaft because the central shaft is a telescoping unit of two pieces one inside the other and the unit will slide inside itself in an front end crash to collapse the center shaft and keep it from becoming a spear in the chest. you will have to get length measurements of an undamaged shaft to see if yours is ok. IF your shaft is too short (a common male problem) you will be able to lengthen the telescoped shaft by clamping one end to wood and hammering the edge of the other telescope to lengthen the shaft .

Thank you very much. The pins are correct. Test fit it before attempting install.  I will see if I can pull it out. Hope not to remove steering column said:
The steering shaft is supposed to be collapsable.  It should just extend... you might need to do a little cleaning and lubrication work.  Are you positive the rag joint is correct and has the 5/16 - 9/16” pin combo?  If the pins are too large they won’t fit in the radial slots cut in the steering shaft end.
I has similar alignment problems while installing steering shaft.  turned out the previous owner had removed the steering wheel and used a BFH to  beat on the top of the steering shaft while pulling up on the wheel to get the wheel off. after taking apart the complete assembly i discovered that the central shaft had been shortened by 1.5 inches due to his beating on the shaft because the central shaft is a telescoping unit of two pieces one inside the other and the unit will slide inside itself in an front end crash to collapse the center shaft and keep it from becoming a spear in the chest. you will have to get length measurements of an undamaged shaft to see if yours is ok. IF your shaft is too short (a common male problem) you will be able to lengthen the telescoped shaft by clamping one end to wood and hammering the edge of the other telescope to lengthen the shaft .

Thank you very much the photos help significantly
Finally got time to work on the steering shaft. wonder bar between firewall and flange on steering shaft worked like a charm.  Pulled out to right length without having to pull the steering column :thankyouyellow: . Thanks again

Back