Suddenly We Own a 73 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmronin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible
Hi there!

My name is Steve and I am suddenly a Ford owner. My wife found a 1973 Mustang Convertible at the auto repair place next to her dry cleaners and asked if it was for sale (didn't have a "For Sale" sign). It was, I stopped by and looked at it - been sitting for 2 years, started up on the first try after the battery was jumped, the title is clean, the top was new when it was left at the repair place and is still tight as well as raises/lowers easily. The transmission engages in all gears and drives, the brakes work (but they are a bit delicate).

the interior is very dirty but complete. the exterior has some crunched panels - really needs some body shop love (totally want to replace the hood with a NASA hood instead of fixing the original hood). It needs work, it's a project, we're ok with that.

oh, the price? $800 in cash.

73fordconvert01.jpg

73fordconvert02.jpg

73fordconvert03.jpg

73fordconvert04.jpg

73fordconvert05.jpg

Glad I found this list - I'm a former 2nd Gen firebird owner and happy to come back to the Vintage V8 family.

thanks!

steve

Steve, welcome to the site and congrats ...you didn't buy it, you stole it!

I can't even get a genuine vintage air setup for the price you paid for the whole car!

Them cowls may look a little sus, but who knows, it may be surface rust.....

Well done with the find....

Jim.

800$, can't believe, we definitly live in another world:rolleyes:

Welcome and have fun.

Well bought!

I'd suggest checking to make sure that the unibody isn't sagging from inner rocker panel rust (a suggestion that applies to every convertible, especially restored ones) but the exterior looks very solid. Chances are it's been stored on tarmac/concrete for a long time.

-Kurt

Welcome to the site from Virginia. What a deal you got, your wife deserves some kudos!

Lots of great info here on this site and feel free to ask any questions.

I think you did well, I looked at a 73 vert for 9900 and it had holes in the subframe. You stole the car. Leaves money for a proper restoration to a nice daily driver.

Really nice! Welcome to the club. Before you start buying body panels read up on some of the differences between 73 and the other two years. Bumpers and fenders are different. Grills are too. You can interchange but it means changing it all. For example, if you like the 71 chrome front bumper you need to get 71/72 fenders and bumper supports and some other stuff. Welcome to the 73 drop top club from a fellow member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back