(Super) Squeaky Suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351c 2v
Edelbrock 4bbl, Performer Intake
Ram-Air
Pertronix Electronic Ignition
My front, driver side, suspension squeaks like I don't even know what squeaks that much. Its not the wheel because if push the car down over the F/DS suspension it squeaks on the down and the up. I'm guessing its the shocks which are already on order for a few days. But should I be checking anything else?

My front, driver side, suspension squeaks like I don't even know what squeaks that much. Its not the wheel because if push the car down over the F/DS suspension it squeaks on the down and the up. I'm guessing its the shocks which are already on order for a few days. But should I be checking anything else?
Check your upper and lower A arms for grease fittings

Alright, had the car on the lift today. I found the lower arm grease spots but no luck with the uppers. I'm replacing the shocks hopefully later this week so I will be a little more into things if they are in an inconspicuous area. The squeak is pretty intermittent and with all I've read on this issue in other forums points to a rubber boot of some type and the up control arm. Thanks for the help all.

Very likely it is the upper control arm bushings. They are extremely difficult to grease. I installed a kit with 90-degree zerk extensions. Even with a 7000psi grease gun, it's still a pain to get anything in there.

Agree with the others. Almost certainly upper control arm bushings. PITA to change but doable.

Chuck

I replaced all of the front suspension parts on the convertible as my first real project after I bought it. It took a several hours a day over a three-day weekend to replace EVERYTHING. The hardest part was trying to do it without a true coil spring compressor. Other than that, info provided in this forum made it straight forward for me.

Doc

Well I suppose it is an old car but its not like she was a daily driver or even a used weekend driver. Barely 47500 miles now. I figured I'd need to lube and grease and replace some of the more obvious items (shocks) but I wasn't figuring on replacing bushing and pins. I'll have to split the work up over time if the grease and shocks don't get it smoothed out.

Well now I am familiar with the front suspension! I greased it like there was no tomorrow. Quiet as a mouse and the new shocks are like a dream

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what fingers I use on my phone, it is bound to type whatever it wants. But I did "grease" the front suspension and quiet is the new word. After a close inspection a lot of the rubber down there has really dried out over the years. Redoing the boots, grommets and bushings is a project on my list when I actually have the time and ability.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what fingers I use on my phone, it is bound to type whatever it wants. But I did "grease" the front suspension and quiet is the new word. After a close inspection a lot of the rubber down there has really dried out over the years. Redoing the boots, grommets and bushings is a project on my list when I actually have the time and ability.
Cool, you do know we are just playin don't you?

Yeah it seems these so called smart phones have a mind of their own, which are not so smart sometimes.

I have the same problem. I replaced the control arms, springs, shocks, etc. but still need to replace many of the related rubber bushings.

Doc

Back