Supply chain issues?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD-72

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing supply chain issues in finding parts?

I went in to buy new front disk brake set up (rotors, pads, and shocks) this afternoon.

For what I use of the car (pleasure drives) I don’t need high end wildwoods, so I was looking for quality stock equivalent parts.

Premium pads and kyb shocks were easy to find, but quality rotors are no where to be found in the area.

Back ordered everywhere....best guess of 4-6 months to fill my order

its a good thing that my car is ready to be “put to bed” for the winter, so hopefully they will eventually arrive and I will have a Spring project

Also, i ordered those blue dash light diffuser globes back in April, they arrived this week

maybe it’s just a Canada thing?

Not just parts, either. Needed 140 12"x12"x2" concrete pavers today, neither Lowes nor Home Depot had them locally or at nearby cities. Fortunately a regional hardware chain (Jerry's) had pallets of them at their local stores.

Did you check Rock Auto for brake rotors?  I think they ship to Canada.
I have gotten a few 71-3 everyday parts off Rock Auto delivered North of the Border and a ton of parts over the last year for my 300 ZX. Love Rock Auto for parts and they ship quick and reasonable (all duties included). It is getting harder to find older car parts here though…

I buy the bulk of my parts off Rock Auto & Amazon. Local chain places (Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly) are a last resort due to exorbitant prices for the same parts. Summit Racing also sells replacement parts and AFIAK will ship to Canada.  

Rock has a variety of rotors in stock.  https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1971,mustang,5.8l+351cid+v8,1132692,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

As does Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/brake-systems/section/disc-brakes/part-type/brake-rotors/year/1973/make/ford/model/mustang

I used the ACDelco 18A1345 rotors on my 71 with Hawk pads and they've been great for nearly five years. I did replace the installed races with the ones in the USA made Timken bearings I used. 

I have bought a bunch of replacement parts for my 72 off of Rock Auto and they have never had a problem shipping to Canada. Only time its any problem is bigger items where they want a lot for shipping. And in those cases I will check Amazon or locally first. But all the brake rebuild parts for mine came from Rock Auto besides the front pads since I got Hawk pads and Rock Auto didnt carry them. 

All sorts of items that flow into the US are sitting on container ships off shore and are being delayed due to the current administration's handling of the various issues that occur in running this country. We are starting to see the lack of items in stores  and feeling the rising prices in our pockets. So all we can do for now is "Embrace the Suck".

Anyone experiencing supply chain issues in finding parts?

I went in to buy new front disk brake set up (rotors, pads, and shocks) this afternoon.

For what I use of the car (pleasure drives) I don’t need high end wildwoods, so I was looking for quality stock equivalent parts.

Premium pads and kyb shocks were easy to find, but quality rotors are no where to be found in the area.

Back ordered everywhere....best guess of 4-6 months to fill my order

its a good thing that my car is ready to be “put to bed” for the winter, so hopefully they will eventually arrive and I will have a Spring project

Also, i ordered those blue dash light diffuser globes back in April, they arrived this week

maybe it’s just a Canada thing?
Yes, even stock replacement parts for current cars are weeks away.  even like 2018 model car brake parts are backordered from our standard vendors.

Quality brake rotors (coated) for Fords seem to take 3 or 4 days here in upper Michigan. 

Other items that my local NAPA store always had in stock are not there, they can be had from another store the same day, but my store had to employ another full time driver, that's gotta be driving prices up.

I always call now before driving 15 minutes to town, less disapointments that way.

Update:

Beware the lead time for certain parts

I ordered a braided brake line hose kit (3 piece, 2 front, 1 back) in early March 2022 from my local mustang shop.
I called them today, June 23, 2022, looking for a status update...as a buddy of mine just received his ‘67 mustang braided line kit from the same local supplier that was ordered about the same time

It turns out the 71-73 come from/manufactured by Russell Performance.
The latest news is that the factory will not even estimate a manufacturing or shipping date....just that they are on the list to build
(the same storybook of excuses...covid, material and labor shortages, supply chain issues..and on and on...)
I understand that the 71-73 brake lines are specific to our cars only.
I looked online for the part, and they are sold out/back ordered everywhere.
I guess I sit back, wait and accept that they will arrive eventually (likely well after this year’s driving season is over).
I was hoping to install them at the same time as front rotors, brake pads, and shocks... but it seems I can’t delay the process any longer

I hope no one else experiences similar delays...frustrating!!!

Update:

Beware the lead time for certain parts

I ordered a braided brake line hose kit (3 piece, 2 front, 1 back) in early March 2022 from my local mustang shop.
I called them today, June 23, 2022, looking for a status update...as a buddy of mine just received his ‘67 mustang braided line kit from the same local supplier that was ordered about the same time

It turns out the 71-73 come from/manufactured by Russell Performance.
The latest news is that the factory will not even estimate a manufacturing or shipping date....just that they are on the list to build
(the same storybook of excuses...covid, material and labor shortages, supply chain issues..and on and on...)
I understand that the 71-73 brake lines are specific to our cars only.
I looked online for the part, and they are sold out/back ordered everywhere.
I guess I sit back, wait and accept that they will arrive eventually (likely well after this year’s driving season is over).
I was hoping to install them at the same time as front rotors, brake pads, and shocks... but it seems I can’t delay the process any longer

I hope no one else experiences similar delays...frustrating!!!
I bought these Made in USA brake lines from NPD and received them within a week. Their website shows them in stock.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/bra...search_terms=2078-19A&top_parent=200001&year=

Thx for the info
unfortunately, I pre-paid for the ones I have on order, so this is not an option for me

strange tho, as my local mustang shop deals with classic tube for other brake lines and fuel lines

Back