suspension mods for 460?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
hey guys im in the process of planning my build, im currently working on floor pans but i wanted to bolt my 9 inch in since i have use of my buddies garage/lift. what mods are needed up front besides big block springs/ shocks im more worried about the rear the mach currently has stock leafs on it im afraid im going to tear the rear out of this thing ord something right now the motor going in is a 69 460 out of as lincoln but i will probably be modding it in future to over 500 hp( i wanna blow away most cars around here rice burners camaros etc) any info on your setups with the big block? thanks!

For the power level you are apparently looking for, I would just keep it "Factory" relative to suspension. By that, I mean simply set it up the same as the 1971 with 429CJ/SCJ. Remember, the 460 is nothing but a 429 with a "stroked" crankshaft.

Most of what you need, you might already have and for the items you don't have, they are readily available.

Just a thought!

BT

Install high durometer front spring eye bushings (Eaton spring). Build an adjustable pinion snubber, a good pair of 50/50 shocks (or adjustable if budget permits), add 2 spring bands to the front half of each spring. It is cheap and it works well. Chuck

thanks for the info so right now the stock leaf springs in the back, they r rusty but not rotted eveyrthing is originally but shocks etc will need replacing so if i bought new leafs sshould i buy the 4 or 5 leafs? that cal trac looks nice but im on a budget build im in college workin two part time jobs! also is there nayone who made subframe coonnectors for their car? i love my maximum motorsports ones on my foxbody but i only found one type for the mach so i was thinking of making my own

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info so right now the stock leaf springs in the back, they r rusty but not rotted eveyrthing is originally but shocks etc will need replacing so if i bought new leafs sshould i buy the 4 or 5 leafs? that cal trac looks nice but im on a budget build im in college workin two part time jobs! also is there nayone who made subframe coonnectors for their car? i love my maximum motorsports ones on my foxbody but i only found one type for the mach so i was thinking of making my own
Unless the springs are rusted to the point of being mechanically compromised, use the money to buy the other parts. Besides the only springs I've seen that actually yield proper ride height and look close to stock are from Eaton spring. They still make springs from original drawings and specifications from the OEMs that account for things such as different engines size and AC. Two jobs, college, and working on cool old cars. You gotta be a real car guy. Keep up your strength and determination. Good Luck, Chuck

when i mostly cruised the street with my 460, i used 620 coil springs and firm ride shocks all the way around. in the rear i used 5 leaf spring. i also upgraded the front swaybar to a 1 1/8 and the rear to a factory 1/2.

now that i'm more into drag racing and limited street use, i went to stock 73 springs for the suspension travel and left the stiff rear leaf springs in the rear. i now use adjustable drag shocks all around for the front lift on take off. i took out the rear swaybar for bigger wheel fitment (don't feel a single difference with or without it) and temporarily i have the front sway bar completely removed. i will reattach it on the street but i will soon build some kind of bracket to where i can just disconnect the end links and safety wire them up at the track. got to figure something out on that.

if you need a 460 motor from carb to pan, i've got one available along with all the parts for the c6 trans to the actual c6 trans itself. PM me if you've interested

thanks for the advice and motivation. i can say im a true car nut not many of my friends around my age (21) have very little interest in the old cars, i love em not only do i have 4 cars, i have my basemnt garage and even attic full of my parts etc, i have 3 motors 2 trans between my house and my brothers garage lol my parents just love it ha ha(not) but they support what i do, im lucky to have two good older friends who are car nuts with one having a 72 coupe and conv so i have some knowledge if i get stuck

as far as the springs go ill haveta clean them up and see how the look i think they will be ok to use still i just want to put my money in areas that will be effective, not wasting it on things i dont necessarily need, once i get out of school mods will def come. the car will be 99% street driven and taken to local shows.

thanks for the offer on the 460 i actually have two onbe form a 69 lincoln(the good one) and one from a 77 lincoln and one c6 !

what do you guys think of these shocks for my combo? im really liking the price it is within my budget! im looking at the kyb gas adjust shocks on sale for 140 on cj!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back