SVO Intakes on stuffed 4v heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyhunts

Reaction score
My Car
68 pro street coupe- 351c4v
Know there are some experts here so here goes:

i have a SVO “Torker” A331 and a Roush A351 both fitted to 4v Cleveland heads that have had the floors expoxied up to match these intakes.(there is also a Holley strip dominator in the pic, but it’s out of the question for now since my heads are epoxied.

I’ve found a B351 intake but the ports seem much smaller. I want something more high end oriented with a solid floor valley plan.

question: can this intake be opened up to work with my current port set up?

first picture is my intakes I have on the bench.

and the blue one is the b351 I’ve located and have dibs on. Will it work?

you can see the face of the intake and it’s relation to a 4v gasket.

thoughts appreciated.

mike

d31ad13c9b2201dbc00dcf7b0fe71da8.jpg
c94d28bfa6998301083621663d83f79c.jpg
736f33d707f396fd9478d90bb14e46df.jpg
00813bf28835cfc1706e40ecb6a29182.jpg
5473e288500f34cb62e9cfe2660f2d77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am no expert on intakes and heads but have been talking to people that spent lots of time in NASCAR race shop building the 351 C. I was going to try to hunt down a set of Yates heads to go on a track days car I want to build. I was told that if you go with the really huge intake ports they have you have to wind the engine to 9,000+ to actually see the benefits of them. When I do put the engine together we are thinking of putting a set of Australian heads together and a set of CC 4-V together and do dyno test with both to find which is best. He is thinking the Ausi heads and a dual plane intake will give me the best combo for what I want to do. He also stated the single plane intakes are for high rpm pretty much NASCAR track racing or high RPM drag racing. With running road coarse I will need lots of RPM range not just wide open.

Thats kind of the whole point of using SMALLER ported intakes on stuffed cleveland heads.

The Cleveland 4v intake ports are massive.

My heads are already epoxy filled so I’m already kind of too far down this path.

If money were no object. I’d love to just throw a set of 3v heads on and get best of both worlds.

Oh wait.... most have raised exhaust ports and that’s a PIA in an old mustang.

Thats kind of the whole point of using SMALLER ported intakes on stuffed cleveland heads.

The Cleveland 4v intake ports are massive.

My heads are already epoxy filled so I’m already kind of too far down this path.

If money were no object. I’d love to just throw a set of 3v heads on and get best of both worlds.

Oh wait.... most have raised exhaust ports and that’s a PIA in an old mustang.

Mine are raised port AFD heads and have not presented a problem on my 71. Please explain your bad experiences with raised exhaust ports.

I am running the same heads as Roy with no issues. I did run the torker II intake and had to have some port match work done to the manifold with a little epoxy in the runners but it runs great and no issues with header fitment or exhaust.

That’s good feedback guys.

I just assumed(#1problem) that the high exhaust ports might cause an issue.

I’m in a 68.

There just doesn’t seem to be much room between the top of the collector and the floor pan.

Maybe it would be fine.

Back