switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 351C 4V
1968 Ford F-100 300 str6 3 sp
1999 Ford Contour sport V6 5sp
2000 Ford F350 4X4 7.3 turbo diesel dually
2000 Ford F150 4X4 5.7L
I started with a 1972 vert 351 2V FMX tranny, I put the 4V heads on with roller rockers on. I spent $850 to rebuild the FMX tanny but now thinking I should put a 4 speed tranny in it. What do you think, should I put a 4 speed in it??

I agree with Ken. If you are changing from an auto to a standard go for the 5 speed. I have a toploader and 3.50 trac-loc in my convertible and I bought the car because it was a 4 speed car from the factory so I won't switch to a 5 speed. However, as much as I love the 4 speed I often find myself reaching for another gear that isn't there. Whichever choice you make its a load of fun to drive a convertible with a standard transmission.

any ideas where I would get one?
A 4 or 5 speed would be more fun for playing around

But since you already spent the $ and have the fresh FMX I would use it.

I do have a 4 sreed set up if you want to go that route.

Don

Don
you are right about already spending the $$ for the FMX but now I think if it is not too too much$$ I would really like a 4-5 speed in it. I looked on your site and did not find one. do I need to call to find out how much it costs??

Don
you are right about already spending the $$ for the FMX but now I think if it is not too too much$$ I would really like a 4-5 speed in it. I looked on your site and did not find one. do I need to call to find out how much it costs??
Used parts are not listed on the website.

A complete 4 spd conversion would be 1850.00 and up. Depending on the parts condition, what year it is out of and if a drum or disk brake pedal set is needed.

Don

Back