T5 shifter.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a shifter handle that looks appropriate for a T5 conversion.

The one I have now is the suggested one from Modern Driveline and it looks like something out of a Rat Fink vehicle.

Attachments

• 6FF2F1A4-1097-4E4E-A80B-8A666370291E.jpeg
    6FF2F1A4-1097-4E4E-A80B-8A666370291E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a shifter handle that looks appropriate for a T5 conversion.

The one I have now is the suggested one from Modern Driveline and it looks like something out of a Rat Fink vehicle.
A T handle with be night and day better.
I would pick up another handle and start cutting sections out of it.
Hard to tell without actually sitting in the seat and feeling where the handle sits but I would maybe cut about two inches out below the Hurst name and maybe an inch out below the bend before the mounting holes. Weld it up smooth it out and have a chrome shop rechrome it.

I used a shift lever from a 69 Camaro on a friend's T5 conversion way back. I believe it was the 538-7436. The chart below shows dimensions so you can mock something up.

HURST CATALOG SHIFTER LEVERS.jpg

Attachments

• HURST CATALOG SHIFTER LEVERS.pdf
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
How about something like this. Brand new, $120.00 plus actual shipping cost. Chuck
OEM-style levers provide the “look” of the original levers but have the bolt pattern to bolt to the modern TREMEC transmissions (T5, TKO, and Magnum T56).
The “reverse lookout” levers are simulated to have the look of the original but not the functionality which is not present in the new transmissions.

This shift lever comes with mounting hardware for OEM T5 shifter.

The 8mm mounting holes are 7/8″ on center to bolt directly to the stock T5 shifter, when using an aftermarket shifter the mounting holes may have to be increased in size to allow 3/8″ bolts.

IMG_2690.JPG

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and cut it. I would have liked to have cut and welded the top section, however I didn’t want to paint or rechrome. Pool ball is going to be replaced as well, but it looks better! It was the least of my worries, it just bothered me.

Ron

Attachments

• 8BAE5937-2B17-4C1C-A25D-347F24898BE3.jpeg
    8BAE5937-2B17-4C1C-A25D-347F24898BE3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Thanks Chuck, it does look good. I am trying to save money where I can as it’s my sons car. If this doesn’t work out I may go that route

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and cut it. I would have liked to have cut and welded the top section, however I didn’t want to paint or rechrome. Pool ball is going to be replaced as well, but it looks better! It was the least of my worries, it just bothered me.

Ron
That looks better
Is it in neutral now or one of the forward gears?
Wondering if it hits the console
Thanks

Back